Original topic:

SDC 2019 - Samsung Members - Day 02 Adventures

(Topic created on: 11-01-2019 08:17 PM)
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Options
Others

https://www.samsungdeveloperconference.com/https://www.samsungdeveloperconference.com/

Welcome back to my Day 02 recap of #SDC2019. Don't forget to watch the highlights of SDC2019 here

SDC19 - Under Armour BagSDC19 - Under Armour Bag

So my day started off at 7:00am again with another Fit@SDC event organized by the amazing people at Under Armor. This event was a 2-mile walk or 3-mile run. I opted to do the 3-mile run as I figured I'd try and get a good workout in and enjoy the sights of downtown San Jose. They were kind enough to give all of the runners of the event an awesome Under Armor bag with SDC19 stitched at the front!

Unlimited Coffee - StarbucksUnlimited Coffee - Starbucks

Light Breakfast - Assortment of Croissants, Muffins, FruitLight Breakfast - Assortment of Croissants, Muffins, Fruit

Shortly after the run I went for breakfast which they served in Dev Park at 8:00am every morning for the two days. It was light breakfast but I must say the unlimited Starbucks coffee served throughout the day was really what fueled me. At 10:00am the Spotlight Session took place to acknowledge developers and those that are looking to make a change in the world. 

Lori Fraleigh and Taher Behbehani did a great job with opening up the Spotlight for Samsung and its partners. If you didn't get a chance to watch the Spotlight Session definitely check it out- that is if you're interested in hearing what Samsung is doing in the B2B space as well as thoughts from Ethereum Co-Founder Vitalik Buterin

Dev Park - Mobile Design Competition BoothDev Park - Mobile Design Competition Booth

I also got the chance to spend some time talking to some of the finalists at the Samsung Mobile Design Competition booth. Here they showcased some of their conceptual works that were featured in the competition with a prize of $40,000. I know I won't do them any justice explaining their design concepts and ideas so catch the post here to read more. It was refreshing to see the thoughtfulness of design and use of Samsung's Galaxy devices taken into new user experiences. 

Tech Square - Code Labs AreaTech Square - Code Labs Area

I spent most of the day chatting with Samsung Brand Ambassadors as well as learning more about coding at the Code Lab. At the Code Lab they provided several opportunities for attendees to learn how to use their SDKs and tools. It was a unique experience and a great way to help student developers that attend learn how to create applications for Samsung products. Check more about it here.

Samsung XR booth - Giving a skeleton to my 3D renderSamsung XR booth - Giving a skeleton to my 3D render

At the Samsung XR booth, they gave people the opportunity to take a 3D scan of themselves to be modelled. It was a really fun and hilarious experience. Developers who do 3D modelling or game dev would be able to use these models and place them in videogames or 3D animations. After the conference they send these files to attendees to use.

Samsung Galaxy Home Mini spotted in the Tech SquareSamsung Galaxy Home Mini spotted in the Tech SquareIn the Tech Square, they were also showcasing a lot of Samsung Galaxy Home Minis around the Bixby and SmartThings booths. It was showcased a few months back in Korea but now spotted more frequently around SDC this time around. It is as you would expect it to be; a Samsung Bixby version of Google Home Mini tuned by AKG. I had the opportunity to tinker around with it, but wasn't able to play any music from it as it was being used to control some of the SmartThings sensors for home IoT devices.

After all of the roaming around I had accumulated many many many bags from the booths and tonnes of random swag ranging from food to USB sticks, mouse pads, and some safety light (the stuff you would expect from any conference).

SDC2019 Swag Day01SDC2019 Swag Day01

SDC2019 Swag Day02SDC2019 Swag Day02

And that's about it! I did get a chance at night after the conference to eat at a restaurant called Minato Japanese Restaurant in Japan Town. Interestingly, this restaurant was one that Anthony Bourdain visited during his time on Parts Unknown. See the article on it here. I thoroughly enjoyed the food and was stuffed after my visit.

I had eaten the Tofu Agedashi as an appetizer and got the Sashimi + Tempura meal accompanied with really good Genmaicha Tea, one I don't see served often at Japanese restaraunts in Toronto. The experience was refreshing and nostalgic.

Minato - Hamachi + Tuna SashimiMinato - Hamachi + Tuna Sashimi

Minato Japanese RestaurantMinato Japanese Restaurant

Horizon Sunrise - San Jose, CaliforniaHorizon Sunrise - San Jose, California

The next day, 4:00am flight back home, I caught a glimpse outside the airplane window of my final view of San Jose. I want to thank all of those that were involved in making this amazing trip happen as it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I'm hoping from my post those in the Samsung Members Canada community will also get the chance to experience this as they will be able to appreciate the tech industry and developers that create all of what we use in technology today. With that I bid you all goodnight and please ask me questions if you have about SDC and I'll do my best to answer below.

Have a great weekend yall! 

5 Comments
Others
Great review. Thanks for sharing. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Others
Thanks!! No worries!
0 Likes
silbie123
Active Level 7
Others
Another great post! Happy to see you had a great time! ๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Others
It was truly amazing!! thanks!!
0 Likes
ViTi
Active Level 4
Others
Thanks for sharing your experience at SDC ! Great to hear about all the new and upcoming from Samsung !