Original topic:

Max heart rate

(Topic created on: 10-06-2020 10:58 AM)
Kvy
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health

The app says my maximum heart rate is 181, but I regularly measure it to be around 190. This causes the heat rate zones to be all wrong. How can I change the setting?

50 Comments
Samsung_oFFBgTR
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

I agree, if I can't set Max HR then it's not a pro or advance watch.

patrikek
Beginner Level 3
Samsung Health

I agree. I was running about 11 kilometres today and it took my pulse about 5 minutes to reach anaerobic and I was on  90% of max in about 10% of the jog. Honestly, I have not been running a lot for many years, so I should theoretically have been all worked out on these pulse zones, but this was not the case at all. I am 33 so my hrmax is calculated as 187, but I would expect it to be over 200 still (and no, the clock does not measure it wrong, everyone in my family have high hrmax, so it is probably genetic). This is a very big discrepancy. I will probably try to measure my hrmax at some point, but this does not really make much sense. The hrmax can still not be set.

It would be great if this was possible to set manually somewhere.

keagan
Options
Samsung Health

Hi Kvy, We are taking this as your suggestion. Thanks for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and suggestion.

Carelia
Beginner Level 3
Samsung Health

Kvy I fully agree with you and Samsung has to reconsider and become more professional just as Fitbit allows to manually enter your max HR. There is a formula that's proven to be more accurate than the 220 one and your max HR matches it: that is 207- 0.7x your age. This will give a higher max HR than the galaxy watch. I just purchased the ³. Personally it's not up there. 

0 Likes
ontrose
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Yes also got the new watch 3 and at 40y my max is at 193 so got the same problems with the zones, and coming from a polar watch this is abit disappointing

Habby39
Beginner Level 3
Samsung Health

Yes, would be great if we could set our own heart rate zones in the health app !!

Tagull
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

I'm 67, 6 foot, 255 pounds. Samsung Health sets my max heart rate at 155 based on a formula. But I have played soccer for 50 years and my heart is trained to that sport. I use a Polar monitor while playing and also a Samsung watch to get steps. My max heart rate is empirically over 200 bpm. I use 200 for convenience. 155 to 160 is right around the average bpm for me for a two hour game. I typically spend 30 minutes to an hour in zone 4 per game: 160 to 180 bpm. So having a fixed inaccurate rate I can't edit means the zone info is completely useless. Adding an edit feature would be a great and needed enhancement.

keagan
Options
Samsung Health

Hi Habby39 and Tagull, I understand your requirement. I forwarded your suggestions and I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable suggestions with Samsung.

Paul8
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Hi Tagull, as you say not being able to specify max HR is a real pain and messes up HR zones. The only way around it I've found is to edit my date of birth. My real DoB is 1970 but for Samsung Health it is 1990! Then my HR zones look good (compare before and after you'll see the zones change!). There also seemed be be an issue where if I had my real DoB the HR graph would be clipped at what the app thought was my max so it would flatline at 170, I think that has been resolved since thankfully. 

King_301
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Same here I have an active watch 2... I just started running,  but using the formula 220-age 

It comes out to be 189.    The HR zones has my max BPM at 205.    I am fairly new runner, and  tonight I ran and hit 188 max.  I am 6ft6 220. 

How can I change these zones to proper zone

It says I spent 10 mins in the red. 

0 Likes