Original topic:

Magnetic Strip on third party apps

(Topic created on: 04-15-2017 05:18 PM)
Suhael25
Beginner Level 2
Options
Samsung Pay
I've heard that unlike other phones which only use NFC, Samsung Pay can also use MST. I'm in Canada and currently my bank card is not supported by Samsung Pay, however, does have a mobile payment app which I've used from time to time. I was wondering since it isn't Samsung Pay, is the app using NFC only or will it also work using MST when needed? I am using an S7 Edge.
0 Likes
5 Comments
Samsung Pay
What is MST? Do you have a NFC SIM card in your phone? If not you can buy one at your local mobile phone store. So far it is only the CIBC Visa Credit Card that is compatible with the Samsung Pay feature.
0 Likes
Suhael25
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Pay
NFC works. I've used my RBC card using NFC. I was wondering if the Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) would also work for apps other than the Samsung Pay feature since I'm not with CIBC
0 Likes
Samsung Pay
MST stands for Magnetic Stripe Transmission, it is a key point.of difference for.Samaung pay and nobody else has it. Any non Samsung pay service you use (TD, Bell.via NFC on SIM card) would be NFC only.

Gear S3 has MST support but CIBC isn't supporting it.yet as part of the Canadian Samaung it rollout.... maybe this.will change soon.
Suhael25
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Pay
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to keep my cards on me. Also I thought it was Magnetic stripe transmission as well but checked Samsung website and confirmed it was Secure Transmission
0 Likes
Peebs
Active Level 1
Samsung Pay
the MST is amazing when merchants dont have Tap. They think I am a wizard. ;)
0 Likes