Original topic:

Note 10+ w/Samsung Pay: can't use cards as normal?

(Topic created on: 11-13-2019 04:27 PM)
cnewell74
Active Level 4
Options
Samsung Pay
I've tried at a couple of retailers now, and it seems I can no longer use my Samsung Pay loyalty/membership cards with standard (red laser) flat bed scanners. Is this a problem with my screen, or has that functionality been removed?
0 Likes
15 Comments
cnewell74
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
Thanks uzairm87. That's the confirmation I was scared of. Looks like they may have removed a feature. Dang! This is one of those 'use ALL the time' features for me. Bummer.
0 Likes
Samsung Pay
it might have to do with the fingerprint scanner being embedded in the screen? or are you sure your brightness is at 100% when you are trying to scan. I just don't see how that feature can be removed. It might just be a fluke that it didn't scan?
0 Likes
cnewell74
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
So, an interesting experiment: When I manually increase my brightness to max (even the non-boosted max), Samsung pay *decreases* the screen brightness automatically when I tap 'use card'. It increases brightness at my standard levels, but it actually decreases the brightness when I try to manually increase brightness! This has worked flawlessly on my last 3 phones, and this isn't a feature I want removed, so I really hope it's a big they just didn't notice, as opposed to hardware they stopped supporting.
0 Likes
cnewell74
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
(I just deleted a too-long post about my Samsung-exclusive smartphone history going back to my Omnia [pre-Android], and how Samsung often misses the boat, thinking we remain as fans because of their big features, when quite often, it's the features they don't tell anyone about that really keep us coming back for more. When it came to updating to the Note 10+, fancy s pen features weren't part of the decision. I just want s pen, not gimmicky s pen. And this ability to empty my wallet of all of my cards, yet still use them with ANY scanner turned out to be a big player in my decision not to wait for the Pixel 4XL.)
0 Likes
cnewell74
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
I got a Samsung Pay update this morning. Is this update going to return the ability to scan cards everywhere? It did mention membership cards specifically!

Let me know if it fixes the broken feature for any of you, please.
0 Likes
cnewell74
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
In the end, it looks like a dead feature. I can no longer scan my "membership" cards on all scanners. It has to be a new scanner designed for mobile devices. not everyone has those, so I have to read my numbers at the cash. Minor advantage lost... 😕
0 Likes