Original topic:

4K Smart TV and streaming content

(Topic created on: 03-28-2020 07:09 AM)
jeffmamer
Beginner Level 2
Options
Smartthings

Hello all 

I'm a long time Samsung TV owner and have had CRTs, LCDs, and now have a 4K Smart TV that I use wirelessly on my home network. 

Typically after about 60-90 minutes of streaming content from a provider such as Netflix, Disney+, or others, the connection drops and tells me there is problem with the network. I perform the necessary checks and it comes back as a network problem. However, none of the other devices in the house have any issues connecting to my wifi.

I've been in contact with Samsung chat and they had me reset my HomeHub which worked but resulted in me having to redownload all my apps (not a long term solution). The other option that works is unplugging and replugging in my modem each time (also works but the network is down for at least 5 minutes - again not long term solution).

It's almost as if the TV's short term memory is getting all clogged up and then disconnects. 

I have NO issue streaming content on any other device in my house including 12 year old Apple products and brand new PC products so it is not a network issue or strength of signal input.

Can anyone please help with a long term solution that I can use to stream content. 

It is extremely disappointing as I have enjoyed all my Samsung TV products in the past.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff

0 Likes
8 Comments
Ray1
Expert Level 1
Smartthings

I really don't think that this is a problem with your Samsung product. It really sounds like a network issue.
Your other products are not likely trying to download 4K so work ok
You could try a wifi booster or better yet hook the TV by wired method to your router or modem to see if you get the better consistent signal

0 Likes
Smartthings
are you using tv's wifi?? what is your internet speed?? did you try hooking it up via lan cable?? is your router close to your tv?? how bout the interference or deadspots?? if you can rule out all of these and still laggy on your tv, then might be a wifi problem on your tv..
0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Smartthings
I agree with @Ray2 and @gokongming, make sure you have strong WiFi or better yet use an internet cable 👍

My guesses though...

Its working for some time...

I think your router is crashing or the tv needs an update 🤷♂️

First I would try plugging an internet cord to tv

No worky?

You could try resetting the tv to factory default if you didn't pay for a calibration and you don't care all settings are gone and you hafta reconnect WiFi and play with video /audio settings if you've toyed with them before 🤷♂️

No worky?

Then I would return the modem

No worky?

Then I would try updating the tv

🤷♂️

**question **
Has anyone ever downgraded the software on a tv?
Is this possible 🤷‍♂️
0 Likes
jeffmamer
Beginner Level 2
Smartthings

Thanks everyone for the comments.

To add more to the story - the TV is within 5 metres of the router.

It was streaming content fine with a wired option and the problem is only during wireless use. I would like to continue to use wireless but will use wired if it persists.

I have checked for software upgrades and have rest the TV to factory settings several times.

This may sound dumb but is the streaming content coming in as 4K or is it being upgraded to 4K once it hits the TV? I didn't realize all the services streamed in 4K. 

0 Likes
Kinsley
Options
Smartthings

Hi jeffmamer,

Please check if the distance between the TV and the wireless router is within 15 meters, check if there is any later firmware available for the TV. If you are still having the same issue, please perform a TV reset, this will reset all pictures, sound settings and apps etc., to factory defaults.

0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Smartthings
@Kinsley just say do what we said 🤷
Iknow! I've been down this road before 🤦
my suggestions are in the best order of least fack up 🤙👍
0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Smartthings
Hey @Kinsley can you downgrade tv software?
0 Likes
Kinsley
Options
Smartthings

Hi mytechOnce the TV software is updated to the latest firmware then there is no option to downgrade it.