Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Making someone's contact into an app

(Topic created on: 03-22-2020 01:54 PM)
BenMorrish
Active Level 1
Options
Smartthings
I am just wondering if it is possible to make an app icon on the home screen or anything that can link directly to a person's phone number. For example, let's say there is an elderly person who is losing their memory, but is still able to match a face and name to a person, so I want to have an app icon display said persons face and have the name below that, and it calls that person when clicked.

Let me know if further clarification is needed as to what I am looking to do. 

Cheers. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Smartthings
Yes you can. Please long press on your home screen in an empty spot, select Widgets, scroll to contacts and select the type of widget you'd like to add. Then you'll be able to select which contact you'd like to have as a shortcut. You can do this as much as many times as you want. If a contact has a profile picture assigned to it, it will show as the icon

View solution in context

Solution
Smartthings
Hi BenMorrish, that is correct. it separated into Contacts, Direct message and Direct dial. All you need to do is press and hold on contacts and place it on Home page. Then, it will prompt you to select which contact you want to add. Choose the contact and done.

You were in the right direction and you are almost there. 🙂

View solution in context

10 Comments
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Smartthings
Yes you can. Please long press on your home screen in an empty spot, select Widgets, scroll to contacts and select the type of widget you'd like to add. Then you'll be able to select which contact you'd like to have as a shortcut. You can do this as much as many times as you want. If a contact has a profile picture assigned to it, it will show as the icon
BenMorrish
Active Level 1
Smartthings
I actually had just tried that before posting, but once I got to the contact part, it separated into contacts, direct message, and direct dial. However, I had to press and hold to interact with them, and once I did, I placed them on the home screen, and then they disappeared when I returned to the home screen.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Smartthings
Weird. I just tried on my phone and it doesn't do that. Are you sure that your current home screen page has at least one empty spot? Otherwise it might have been placed on another page.
BenMorrish
Active Level 1
Smartthings
Yeah I've only got like 4 spots taken, so I definitely have room for it. Maybe I'll restart my phone and try it again, seems to be a magical solution for plenty of things.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Smartthings
Or maybe you have more than one launcher application on your phone? Try to remove the launcher apps you don't use.
Smartthings
that's pretty smart
0 Likes
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Smartthings
I followed chmultimedia instructions and worked for me...
0 Likes
Solution
Smartthings
Hi BenMorrish, that is correct. it separated into Contacts, Direct message and Direct dial. All you need to do is press and hold on contacts and place it on Home page. Then, it will prompt you to select which contact you want to add. Choose the contact and done.

You were in the right direction and you are almost there. 🙂
BenMorrish
Active Level 1
Smartthings
Thank you all very much, I just had to reset my phone in between batches of moonshine, it works perfectly now 👍

Thanks again everyone, cheers.
0 Likes