Original topic:

Samsung Smart bulb

(Topic created on: 11-27-2019 05:22 PM)
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Options
Smartthings
So Samsung smart light bulb is on sale for about 10.50. Does anyone have one currently? Can I use the smartthings app on my S10+ to control it, or do I have to buy Samsung hub to actually make it work? Anyone have a reviews? Long shot but hopefully someone has something 

Ps.. Samsung, you need to start "gifting" things like this so people can make reviews so people like me can see real life reviews before buying ... 

0 Likes
6 Comments
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Smartthings
I have the smartthings hub but Phillips hue lights. I am able to control all my lights using the smartthings app panel on my phone or google assistant/Bixby. On the website link you posted it says you need the Smartthings hub for the bulb so I would definitely think you need that as a requirement for all smartthings products.
0 Likes
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Smartthings
I read that, but then what's the point of the smartthings app .. I can control some things like my xbox via smart things without a hub. plus at the bottom it says the hub or a compatible device, which I would hope that would be on samsung devices since they own "smart things "
0 Likes
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Smartthings
I think SmartThings technology requires a hub to initiate the communication between devices because there are many different wireless standards for communication. These hubs act as a gateway to consolidate all compatible devices from different manufacturers and all different standards used. It helps give you a wider array of compatible devices and also helps divert network traffic on an existing access point to the hub. This in turn reduces the strain on your wireless network.

Compatible device refers to their other devices such as Samsung Connect Home or Samsung SmartThings Mesh Wi-fi.
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Smartthings
@Habsfan They meant another device that acts as a SmartThings hub, like a Samsung TV or the Family Hub fridge (the food storage appliance with a screen on it). Your phone can't act as a hub because you will leave your home with your phone eventually.
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Smartthings
ah, gotcha, makes sense thanks all for the help. unfortunately i don't see myself buying a hub and then adding all the other smart things..
last question.. why does some of the cheaper lights like geeni I believe they are called work without a hub, you just use the app. why couldn't Samsung smart things app work like that?
0 Likes
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Smartthings
I've used Yi lightbulbs which required no hub and found they cut out frequently as they use 2.4ghz wifi and need to connect to your router to control. If your house doesn't get good signal in certain areas it's probably best to try a hub.

Also the benefit of products with hubs is that they have wireless switches you can use as well
0 Likes