Original topic:

Smartthings Wifi Mesh Router

(Topic created on: 09-25-2019 01:04 PM)
JoelV
Beginner Level 3
Options
Smartthings
Does interconnecting the hubs with an ethernet cable improve the connection/data speed?

0 Likes
8 Comments
SamungMad
Active Level 4
Smartthings
Cable is always faster than wifi connection... but to honest I would go through all of the hassle
0 Likes
psheehan
Beginner Level 2
Smartthings

assuming you meant "would NOT go through the hassle …."

As a network engineer with 40+ years exp. I would challenge that statement. Wired is ALWAYS preferred where possible. You can buy premade Cat6 UTP cable in various lengths quite cheaply. A wired connection is not subject to interference, collisions or traffic congestion.  Keep the cable at least 4" from a power line to avoid cross talk and distortion and you can be quite confident to get 100/1000 Mbps throughput. If you add a switch as the central disti point the resulting CAM table will improve responses further.

0 Likes
Smartthings
Yes, cable is fast and stable. No Interference from other wireless source.

I still run cable at home if possible. Unless like smartphones and tablet that I have to use WiFi. All smart TVs, laptops, computers, 4K players, cameras all connected to cable nowadays. "I am old school 😜"
Samesung
Active Level 10
Smartthings
Same here. The only things I don't have wired are the Google homes around the house and all the Chromecasts.
Ray1
Expert Level 1
Smartthings

Sorry I don't know if interconnecting hubs improves connection/data speed.

I just think it is funny that you got 3 answers that are no way related to your question😂😂

I don't own any to try but think it might make a difference interconnecting the hubs especially in an area that doesn't get good reception.

psheehan
Beginner Level 2
Smartthings

actually ALL answers pertaining to wired vs wireless are on point. YES you will improve quality/throughput by going wired wherever possible.

0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Smartthings
I have a router in the middle of my house and 2 routers, dummies, hubs, on each end both connected by cable. I hate wireless but in some situations it cannot be helped 🤦♂️I'll never want those wireless earphones 🙉
A cable is always better and closer or using a hub is better!
0 Likes
psheehan
Beginner Level 2
Smartthings

Hubs do not provide segregation of traffic whereas  switches do. All ports on a hub will see and compete with all other ports for traffic  priority.

A switch maintains a separate table called CAM (content addressable memory) where it can identify what MAC address is attached to each port. Each port is virtually segregated from the others and when a device wants to send data the switch will use CAM to lookup the path to connect the device with . This will 100% eliminate all collisions within the traffic path.

0 Likes