Original topic:

Galaxy Tab S6 Keyboard new feature please

(Topic created on: 09-05-2019 08:10 AM)
swampy747
Beginner Level 2
Options
Tablets

I'd like to be able to fold the keyboard around the back of the tablet and use the on-screen keyboard.  The way it currently works, I have to remove the keyboard to use the tablet in tablet mode.  KInd of frustrating.  I might leave it behind somewhere.  I'd rather, use the keyboard when in desktop mode and when I fold it backwards, the keyboard disable, and the on screen keyboard work.  Or a button in the notification area that disables the physical keyboard and uses the onscreen keyboard.

Please :)

7 Comments
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Tablets
Hi @swampy747
Just click on the keyboard icon like on the picture and it automatically make a switch
0 Likes
swampy747
Beginner Level 2
Tablets

Almost. That's in DeX mode. In tablet mode I.e. normal android mode. It doesn't work.  You have to detach the keyboard.

0 Likes
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Tablets

@swampy747
I read again your question and it exist a easy solution for it.
Go in Settings/Global settings/Language and input ?, select your physical keyboard and click on it. This will bring you to another windows, you just have to select SHOW VIRTUAL KEYBOARD or something like that.
Sorry my english is not really good but pictures should help you..and virtual keyboard will appear and stay on screen until you don't touch your physical keyboard.
EggplantX
Active Level 1
Tablets

Settings -> General Management -> Language and input -> Physical keyboard -> Show the on-screen keyboard (TOGGLE ON)

20190915_192305.jpg

Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Tablets
@EggplantX thanks for translation
paulpaul
Active Level 3
Tablets
However that means the onscreen keyboard is open while using the physical keyboard. Sure, when you type on the physical keyboard the onscreen keyboard disappears however it keeps popping back up which is very irritating. What we want is for the tablet to know that the physical keyboard is folded all the way over and, in that case, the tablet should operate as if the physical keyboard is disconnected. Is this possible, ie I wonder if the tablet can know the keyboard is folded over? Maybe it is only the keyboard that disables itself and that would mean this is a non-fixable hardware flaw because the tablet does not know the keyboard is folded. That would be unfortunate.
0 Likes
Groovdafied
Beginner Level 2
Tablets

I would like to know this too, and the ability to have Dex turn off automatically when in flip state or reversed.

Honestly, they should've taken a cue from the Surface tablets, because those keyboards are reversable and detects if flip. Maybe something in Tasker app that can do something like this. I would recommend XDA developed forums, they can soon up a plug-in or may have a solution.

0 Likes