Original topic:

Add debit card to Samsung Pay for Gear Sport in Canada

(Topic created on: 10-05-2018 04:40 PM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Wearables
I only see an option to add a credit card to the Gear Sport, and the import option comes up with nothing. Is there a way to add my debit card?
0 Likes
5 Comments
Steve01
Active Level 5
Wearables
currently only credit cards are supported with Samsung Pay on Gear. debit works with regular Samsung Pay.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wearables
Ok, thank you.
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Wearables
it needs to be supported by the banks. they don't have an eta yet regarding debit cards for gear. they are working with the banks
Moderator_
Options
Wearables
Hey @gotthelife11,
As the others have helpfully said, debit cards are not yet supported for Gear.
-Jenna
0 Likes
BoostedAbarth
Beginner Level 2
Wearables
Hi Jenna,

I'm posting this here as I didn't get much help on the US forums. Apparently getting this simple answer is too much.

I use Samsung Pay on my Galaxy S9+ with my CIBC Visa card and Simplii Financial Interac/Bank card. I am able to add both cards to the app on my S9+ that uses the phone to pay, but I can only add the CIBC Visa card to the Samsung Pay app for the Galaxy Watch.

When I try scanning, NFC or manually entering the details of the Simplii card into the Samsung Pay app for the Watch (via the phone), it will always prompt for the CVC. Interac/Bank cards typically do not have a CVC. I've tried putting in 3 zeros but verification fails.

Is this an oversight on Samsung's part, or, are the apps supposed to sync the cards between them? Seems odd it works fine on the phone app but not the watch app.

After reading about this a bit more, I found that ONLY credit cards are support on the watch version of Samsung Pay. I'd still like to know why this is. It doesn't make much sense. Are they actually waiting for the banks approval? I paid with my Credit Card today without issues using my new Galaxy Watch. I'm unsure what the difference would be regarding using the debit card on the watch since I can use that on my S9+ without issues.

Is there an ETA as to when this will work? This works on Apple watches without issue.
0 Likes