Original topic:

Gear S3 Floor count

(Topic created on: 10-27-2018 10:57 AM)
Cprice
Options
Wearables
So I posted this issue back on May 30th 2018 ( https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA?projectId=0&meta=#/post?postId=317576  )

So my Gear S3 counted floors without issue from the day I purchased it (Nov 14th 2017) until May 26th 2018.

On May 27th 2018, I didn't do any stairs that day, on May 28th I received a Gear S3 software update (Tizen version: 3.0.0.2) and from that day my floor counts haven't worked properly since that update, my Gear S3 will either not count floors 95% of the time or counts 1 floor after walking up 5 flights.

It was suggested to me by @Wonchul to take my Gear S3 to a Samsung service center to have it look at, which I finally managed to have time to do and took it last weekend (Oct 20th), they said they replaced the motherboard and the watch was reset.

So after multiple resets and getting the motherboard replaced, my Gear S3 is still not counting floors, so I contacted Samsung Members Live chat today and chatted with Kathy, after explaining to her what has been done, she directed me to take my watch to the Samsung service center to be physically inspected, even dough I told her that I took last week and they replaced the motherboard, so then she suggested that I wait until the software update and it MIGHT fix the issue.

To Samsung and Mods, I'm not the only one with this issue as I've read on the Samsung Members US site that many users have the same problem.

Is Samsung aware of this issue? will it be fixed?
5 Comments
Vee7
Beginner Level 4
Wearables
Even when working properly it only records flights of stairs that are more than 9ft high. You can go up and down stairs in a building with 8ft ceilings all day and it won't record a single flight. There is no setting in the software to change how high a flight should be.
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Wearables
Hi @Cprice, currently the Gear watch considers about 3 meters as one floor, so if the 5 flights you climb is about 3 meters high, then the watch was count it as 1 floor. I hope that clarifies the accuracy of the floor counting feature.
If you have any suggestions that you think could help improve the functionality you can submit a suggestion to be possibly implemented in a future release from the New Topic screen, open the “Category” dropdown and select “Suggestion”. Thank you for your feedback!
-Irene
0 Likes
CanadianEh
Active Level 1
Wearables
ya, all day I hiked up and down a half flight of stairs and a short, steep driveway and it didn't count either as they were not a full flight of stairs. I'm thinking it should "remember" total meters up or down and total it every so often
0 Likes
RonSwanson
Active Level 1
Wearables
My Gear S3 had the same problem from the date I bought it in 2017 until 22 Sep 2018. Since that date, floor count has gone crazy, registering anywhere from 50 - 240 floors daily! This hyperactive floor count has coincided with a 50% battery life reduction, from typically 2+ days on a full charge to barely one day!
0 Likes
Wearables
***Update***

I took my watch to the Samsung service centre and explained my issues, they replaced the motherboard in my watch and said all should be fine now.

So when I got home, I climbed 10 flights of stairs, the watch did not register any flights of stairs, later in the day, I climbed another 10 flights of stairs 2 times, so a total of 30 flights of stairs in that one day, the watch did not register a single floor, floor count stayed at 0.
0 Likes