Original topic:

Samsung not backing up their refurbished products/ "Water Resistant" Fine print

(Topic created on: 11-22-2018 04:17 AM)
Dmaldon
Beginner Level 2
Options
Wearables
I bought a Samsung S3 Gear Frontier watch Refurbishued from Best Buy's Marketplace, used it for 4 weeks, and then it died.

I tried contacting Samsung, but they refused to assist me in anyway, as I didn't purchase this directly through them, and they directed me to Best Buy.

Best Buy then directed me to Electronics_Canada and they were "kind" enough to take it for inspection.

They came back claiming I was out of luck, as it had water damage and this was not covered by the warranty. This watch, I only got wet while showering at the Gym, otherwise I always took it off. when I asked for an explanation, they sent pictures and offered me $15 off my next watch purchase.

I then complaint to Best Buy, as the description of the watch IN THEIR WEBSITE states the following: Water resistant: IP68 rated for dust and water resistance to 30 minutes. You can wear it in the rain, or even by the swimming pool without worry.

In Samsung's website: Wear the Gear S3 in all kinds of weather, to all kinds of places. It’s rated IP68 so it’s able to withstand dust and dirt and submersion in up to 1.5 metres of water for up to 30 minutes. †

Best Buy got back to me with the following: We understand how frustrating this may have been as water damages are never covered under warranty. Please see below for wording from Samsung and attached for user manual of your product that may provide insight into the water damages:

1. When you are wearing the device, avoid taking a shower or going swimming.

2. If the device or your hands are wet, dry them thoroughly before handling the device.

3. If the device is exposed to clean water, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to other liquids, such as salt water, ionised water, or alcoholic beverage, rinse it with clean water and dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If you do not follow these instructions, the device’s performance and appearance may be affected.

4. Your device has been tested in a controlled environment and certified to be waterand dust-resistant in specific situations (meets requirements of classification IP68 as described by the international standard IEC 60529 - Degrees of Protection provided by Enclosures [IP Code]; test conditions: 15 - 35°C, 86 - 106 kPa, 1.5 metre, 30 minutes). Despite this classification, it is still possible for your device to be damaged in certain situations.

So, neither Samsung, nor Best Buy nor Electronics_Canada were able to help me i
0 Likes
4 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Wearables
Never buy from the Marketplace! No official warranty. With my water-damaged device bought from an official reseller (Rogers), I got my device replaced under warranty.

Your device was under the seller's own warranty policy and not under Bestbuy or Samsung's warranties

Though if you are in Quebec, you may use the Legal Warranty
0 Likes
akoexmo
Active Level 5
Wearables
refurb is always a second hand we never know why it got return in the first place
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Wearables
unless it's sold directly from Samsung, any return or warranty won't be covered for refurbished items. not sure if samsung does supply referb items
0 Likes
Wearables
No offense, but you did willingly purchase a refurb, even if the watch has IP68 rating, or 1.5 meters for 30 min, you don't know if the previous user took it deep sea diving, and managed to have that store on the marketplace accepted the return regardless.
0 Likes