Original topic:

Update Broke Secure Folder App notifications on Gear S3

(Topic created on: 06-01-2019 12:31 PM)
cmdacos
Active Level 6
Options
Wearables
Since the latest update, not sure if it's the One UI update for the watch or the May security update on my s3, notifications from apps within the secure folder are no longer coming up in the s3 watch. Was fine all week and when I restarted by phone today, the issue started.
0 Likes
4 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Wearables
The April patch did change this behavior since it could expose Secure Folder's contents, apps and notifications, which is the opposite of what Secure Folder is about.

"SVE-2019-13899: Smartwatch bug

Severity: High
Affected Versions: P(9.0) devices
Reported on: January 25, 2019
Disclosure status: Privately disclosed.
A vulnerability in Secure Folder allows to show the Secure Folder notification content in smartwatch.
The patch adds the notification ID check and reject if it comes from Secure Folder."
0 Likes
cmdacos
Active Level 6
Wearables
Odd. I never had any issues at all with the April patch. They took SF notifications away years ago only to bring it back. There is nothing insecure about notifications if given a choice. This is a very Apple-type move and it's painful. It's not a vulnerability if the user chooses to have the notifications shown.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Wearables
No. Secure Folder is meant to be a container for sensitive content that you wouldn't want ANYONE, in ANY CIRCUMSTANCES to get access to. Notifications may contain sensitive information and thus must be hidden.
0 Likes
cmdacos
Active Level 6
Wearables
First of all, Thats your opinion, which I respect but you stating no, doesn't make this a hard and fast fact.
You can adjust your notifications just to show the app and not the content.
I use secure folder as a separate work phone space which is one of the intended purposes of this space after Samsung renamed the Knox container.
what's the point of defaulting a secure version of email if you can't get notifications and in fact, why even have notification settings at all in secure folder if the intention was as you mentioned?
0 Likes