cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

How can I make Bixby use the default messaging (SMS/RCS) app?

(Topic created on: 08-09-2022 06:47 PM)
EllisKai
Active Level 9
Options
Support

The inbuilt app is the old (pre S22) Samsung messages. The current set default is Google messages. In my case, the old Samsung messages, although it appears to have RCS chat features, uses MMS and it takes forever to send a photo or a video. using the Google messages, I lose the drag-and-drop function but I can now chat and easily attach media. I still use link sharing when sending them to iPhones. 

Update April 9 2023:
You can now send via the set default message app (or at least google messages) after OneUl 5 update. 
0 Likes
6 Comments
SamsungRightCare
Community Manager
Options
Support

Hello EllisKai,

We are here to help. Please follow below steps.

1) Navigate to and open Settings
2) Then tap Apps.
3) Tap Choose default apps.
4) And then tap SMS app.
5) Select your desired message app.

Hope it helps you out.
0 Likes
EllisKai
Active Level 9
Support
I know how to set a default app gosh that's not even the subject of the article.

it's Bixby that doesn't get it right oh come on.

The title itself shows Bixby is the problem.
There seems to be no way of creating a capsule for it to use Google messages as it's default messaging app.

Goodness, Google is already set as the default messaging app in settings but Bixby still ridiculously insists on using Samsung messages. If you really read the article before commenting, you will know.

I've mentioned that "the current set default is Google messages". What I meant was..
the current default messaging app is Google messages. How else should I say it? Google messages is the current default messaging app set on this device - not Samsung messages but I can't make Bixby use the default messaging app (that is Google messages) and it insists on using Samsung messages so I can't make Bixby send a message (through Bixby voice)

In the picture (white background), Google messages isn't included as an option..

I can't make Google messages as the "preferred capsule" (pic with black background) for it's not even a capsule.Screenshot_20220805-165234_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220805-230046_Bixby Voice_33336_1659711646.jpg
SamsungRightCare
Community Manager
Options
Support

Hello EllisKai,

Bixby only uses the native Samsung Messages app.

0 Likes
jnyer27
Beginner Level 2
Support

You guys are a mess Samsung s23 ultra and same issue... This is ridiculous. Regret switching from pixel 7 pro. 

0 Likes
JerBry85
Beginner Level 3
Support

Than what's the point of this setting in Google messages in the advanced settings for Galaxy? That doesn't make any sense if bixby is only able to use the native samsung messages app..

Screenshot_20230701_230904_Messages.jpg

0 Likes
Samsung_fAD8x5R
Beginner Level 4
Support

Most stupidest heartless reply.  Shows ultimate carelessness.

0 Likes