Original topic:

bixby and the weather

(Topic created on: 10-02-2020 11:10 AM)
TBone
Expert Level 1
Options
Bixby
So mostly just for my own entertainment. I decided to ask Bixby what the weather and/or temperature is outside. and Bixby could not answer the question because it needed me to download a capsule. where in the past, such as a few months ago Bixby was able to do this without any added capsules. why would Samsung decide to remove his functionality is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I look at this situation like this. If samsungs bixby "intelligent" assistant needs all these extra add on capsules to do any real functions. I.E tell me something like whats the weather. Then it doesn't belong on the device. 

13 Comments
keagan
Options
Bixby

Hi TBone, Developers teach Bixby by building Bixby Capsules. Each Capsule contains everything Bixby needs to know, from defining use cases and models to dialog and layouts.

mytech
Expert Level 3
Bixby
Hey @keagan can you elaborate more on this bc @TBone has always been the Bixby @2 guy here 🤷
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Bixby
The issue is the weather capsule was removed and no longer available for Bixby ever since the 2.0 version IIRC.
TBone
Expert Level 1
Bixby
but the point is. us as consumers/customers shouldn't have to download/install extra add on capsules to "teach" bixby to do something like telling me something like the weather. or anything in general. google assistant doesn't need it. Siri doesn't need them, Alexa doesn't need them. 🤷🏻‍♂️ sure "bixby is different", but now why can't bixby do simple functions or tasks with out having to install capsules?. anyway bixby is a mistake for samsung. end of rant.
Bixby

I found that Bixby is more difficult to use. Especially rely on Capsules. Most of the time will tell you couldn't found the capsule. Next, even I have "Use while phone locked" enabled, I still need to physically unlock the phone to perform some simple tasks. For example, after finish using Samsung Pay and don't want the NFC keeps draining my battery; however, I was driving. I usually asked Bixby to turn off my NFC. Now, Bixby wants me to unlock the phone to continue. Same as turn on or off bluetooth, turn on mobile data or wifi, all tasks Bixby wants me to unlock my phone to continue. The following are no unlock required - ask Bixby turn off screen, what is the weather right now and what time is it. Well...all major tasks required phone unlock. I want to use Bixby, but it changed somewhat not convenience for users. I understand that driving should not use cellphone, but turn on or off bluetooth, NFC, Data and WiFi are just simple tasks and no need to block this kind of request. I am not checking and reading email, typing messages...etc.

0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Bixby
honestly bixby is just a mistake to even have made on samsungs part. it's a service/product that no one asked for. then they forced a poor product on its customers. also it needs far to many "add on's" to really function. 🤷🏻‍♂️ so whats the point in having it really?.
keagan
Options
Bixby

Thanks everyone for providing your opinions and suggestions about Bixby. All your suggestions will be forwarded to our team.
Please check and make sure that the country in the Bixby settings is set to Canada. Capsules are part of Bixby Marketplace and this is not yet available in Canada.

0 Likes
CynicalJerk84
Active Level 8
Bixby
just be specific and say what's the weather for the area you're in. work's great for me. and has lot's of after questions pop up.
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Bixby
interesting 🤔....... because it used to work for me, and now it doesn't. 🤷🏻‍♂️
0 Likes