Original topic:

Cannot Decrypt SD Card

(Topic created on: 10-03-2021 06:12 AM)
Members_HIqepW4
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy A

Good day guys,

I'm Having some trouble with my SD card. What happened is that I encrypted the SD while inserted in the phone and I had to format it because it caught viruses. I lost some files but I decided to start over. So, because I was running out of storage on the phone I decided to move the pictures from the internal storage to the external(SD card). When I checked this morning I couldn't open nor view the files anymore, so I transfer them back to the same folders in the inter storage, but nothing happened. Since then, I have tried format my SD card but it says It cannot because it has write protection and it cannot be Decrypted because it was encrypted on another phone and I cant even remove the write protection through windows. What I am trying to do is to Decrypt the sd card then place the files inside the SD card the Decrypt it again, or at least try recover my files. I would appreciate ya'll help.

4 Comments
SamsungJon
Options
Galaxy A

Hi, like @tvn05 has said, unfortunately SD cards can only be decrypted by the same device which was used to encrypt it. 

For more information on encryption and decryption, please see here: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/how-to-encrypt-decrypt-sd-card/#:~:text=It%20locks....

0 Likes
Vish2729
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

I inserted the sd card in same device after some time,but now it's asking to format the sd card

0 Likes
SamsungClaudette
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy A

Hello @Vish2729

Have you reset the encrypting device?  The encryption key would have been changed and requires formatting to restore access.

Kind Regards,
SamsungClaudette

0 Likes
DAE51D
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy A

I came here for basically the same problem. My S10 said my SD card was going bad and it put it in read-only mode so I just spent the last 24 hours basically copying the files from the SD over USB to my PC. Now I'm trying to format the SD card and I basically can't. I got another SD card I've moved all the files back onto it put it back in my phone everything is individual files like pictures and data and stuff as I would expect but I can't open any of them it's like each individual file is encrypted this is absolutely infuriating!!!

0 Likes