Original topic:

Galaxy A53 Huge Issue

(Topic created on: 06-25-2022 08:25 PM)
Sirandar888
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy A

Every time the Samsung Photo App asks to change save location to the microSD card it causes mayhem...... Data loss mayhem.

The first time this happened I lost 70 GB of music which was retransfered AND I lost 2 years of cell pictures forever.

The second time it ejected the card and asked me to reformat.  Fortunately I didn't and the card was OK... The only reason it was okay was because I said no to transferring new pictures to microSD.. This is a camera app issue not a SD issue.... I transferred 100GB to the card with NO ERRORS whatsoever.  Please fix this issue

SanDisk 256GB microSD

11 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

What is the model number of your device? 

The camera shouldn't be asking you more than once where you want to store images, and normally when you first insert the SD card & open the Camera, it should automatically detect the presence of the SD card & either automatically select it for image storage, or ask you only once. 

Are you sure that it supports a 256 Gig SD Card?  I know that not all Galaxy A series devices support 256 Gig.

I make regular backups of my device, including images, so in the event of a hardware / software or loss / theft of my device, I might only lose a week's worth of data / images. 

Axton
Options
Galaxy A

Hi, A53 5G supports MicroSD up to 1TB. Just to confirm, do you have any issues when you use the same SD card on other phones?

0 Likes
Sirandar888
Active Level 3
Galaxy A

My Samsung a53 is proving to be the most unreliable phone I've ever had not because of the hardware but because Samsung software developers don't know how to handle a micro SD slot.

After my first round of data loss on my microSD card everything worked fine again until Samsung asked me to update my phone with the latest software updates........ Immediately after the software update my micro SD card was corrupted again with irreversible data loss.....

Blame the micro SD card.... But if it's faulty how do you transfer almost 100 GB of data and have it work flawlessly until the moment of the software update

Sirandar888
Active Level 3
Galaxy A

And note that the card itself shows no sign of corruption or errors.  The update process deleted a huge proportion of my music and a lot of my pictures into a zero byte file.... But there are no errors on the card.

FFortunately I didn't lose any data this time but it's really annoying retransferring several thousand files to my phone......

I will need to remember to eject my SD card before any updates by Samsung..... That should be explicitly stated in the Samsung update procedure

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Security Patch Updates & OS version updates don't touch the external sd card. 

In more than 12 years of Samsung devices, whether it was Samsung's updates, or my Flashing Custom Roms, I've never, ever lost a kb of Data from any updates.

Think what you want, but the data loss, regardless of how much data you have transferred yourself, is most likely attributable to the sd card itself. 

Sirandar888
Active Level 3
Galaxy A

I think that you're pretty skilled at what you do but in this case you're wrong....

After the update when I stick another micro SD card into the A53 files from my previous card show up.  When I try to format the card ejects remounts and files are still on there. I copy new files to it they show up fine then I unmount and mount and they're gone and the files from the previous SD card are there.

Update totally destroyed my microSD capability.  The port is useless until I figure out a way to get it working again and it doesn't matter which card you put into it.

And yes I do respect that you've been working with these types of problems for years... But during covid almost every talented person got fired from their job and I'm pretty sure Samsung has no clue how to deal with micro SD anymore.

0 Likes
Sirandar888
Active Level 3
Galaxy A

Now I'm left in the unenviable position of figuring out what to do.... I could take my phone back to Telus they will probably just point their finger at Samsung.

Samsung will point their finger at Google

Google point their finger back at Samsung.

How will I ever trust Samsung to install another update on my phone for the rest of my life?

Should I try a factory reset and lose all the work I put into this phone setting it up the way I want it?

How many hours have I already wasted dealing with two separate issues of data loss?

0 Likes
Sirandar888
Active Level 3
Galaxy A

Samsung employee and had the release notes for the current software patch and it's QA paper trail then you could say with some certainty that this update has no effect on external storage..

But you're probably not a Samsung employee and you don't have this information do you

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

No, I'm very definitely NOT a Samsung employee, if I were, I'd probably have been sacked a long time ago, given my blunt comments regarding Samsung & Samsung's "support" lol.

I did however spend the better part of a decade testing Custom Firmware (Roms), for developers, and it was not uncommon to Flash half a dozen or so in a day, and each time a Factory Reset was required by the Devs, just to make sure that no trace of the previous firmware was left installed. We did have some tools mind you that could restore settings & ALL data,, essentially a mirror image of what was installed on the device prior to the Factory Reset. 

This "mirror" was always installed on the sd card, and as I said I have never lost even a kb of Data. 

I'm curious about this statement;

"After the update when I stick another micro SD card into the A53 files from my previous card show up.  When I try to format the card ejects remounts and files are still on there. I copy new files to it they show up fine then I unmount and mount and they're gone and the files from the previous SD card are there."

Are you saying that you are inserting a different BLANK sd card into your device, or it already has the files installed on it? 

Do Samsung's OTAs touch the external sd card, in all the years that I have been using Samsung's firmware, I have never, ever seen it happen, and that's with the OTAs, or Flashing Samsung's stock Firmware with Odin (Samsung Tool). 

Because I'm curious, are you by any chance using an "App2SD" type of app on your device? 

Oh and I have no issue with admitting when I'm wrong, I've been wrong before & no doubt that I'll be wrong again 😉

0 Likes