Original topic:

Invalid contact

(Topic created on: 01-18-2022 05:17 PM)
rossputin
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy A
I'm getting the above error when trying to text people "new conversation". There is zero doubt the contact is there and occasionally it will find it after a few seconds. But still it should find a every contact instantly.

For instance I'm confident my brother's name is spelled correctly yet he's an invalid contact. 

The contact list appears below and I can enter the name of a contact that is staring me in the face (starts with "A") (yes, it is a mobile number) and still "Invalid Contact" appears.

Any ideas?

Update: Now if I type a name it'll populate a bunch with that string. For example "Don", brings up 2 dozen or so with that string and also NOT that string.
**bleep** isn't my friend's name at the top of the list?

4 days in and I'm wondering why I paid $500+ for all these glitches. 
7 Comments
rossputin
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
So no suggestions?
0 Likes
Reynaud
Options
Galaxy A

Hi rossputin, We suggest you to backup your contacts and perform clear cache clear data for contacts.

Follow the steps below to back up the contacts on your Galaxy device to your Google account.

1. From the Home screen tap Phone.
  2. Touch the Contacts tab.  
  3. Touch the GS4 Menu Key Menu key on your device (if your device doesn't have a Menu key then touch the More Options Icon More options icon at the top-left instead).
  4. Touch Merge accounts.
  5. Touch Merge with Google / Google

Clearing the application cache will remove any remaining files that may slow down the application. 

In Settings, swipe and tap Applications. Select the application you want to delete. Tap Storage, then tap Empty Cache.

If this doesn't work, tap on "Clear Data" ( Note: this will clear all the app data on your phone and you will need to log in again).

0 Likes
rossputin
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
No offence but I feel like most of the time Samsung doesn't actually read the problem.
But I cleared the cache as per your suggestion but still the problem remains.

Merging the contacts wasn't necessary as I only use my Gmail account for contacts.

There is no GS4 menu key where described or "more options " and I don't know what the Phone app has to do with the Messages app?

For clarify this is when I use Messages and search for contacts.
0 Likes
rossputin
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
@reynaud standing by for additional steps.
0 Likes
Reynaud
Options
Galaxy A

Hi rossputin, we suggest you to Backup and reset, then restore contacts only then check if it works fine. If it works then restore remaining data and check again.

Here are the steps to backup your data: Backup from Samsung account--Apps > Settings > Cloud > Backup > Select the data > Back up now. Backup from Google account--Apps > Settings > Backup and reset. 

Here are the steps for factory reset, settings>>General management>>Reset>>Factory data reset>>Scroll down to the bottom and tap on Reset>> Delete All.

rossputin
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
Isn't the fact the phone is fresh out of the box the same thing as reset?
0 Likes
Reynaud
Options
Galaxy A

Hi rossputin, Yes. We suggest you to perform reset and do not restore any data from backup. Please create a contact and then check if it works fine.

0 Likes