Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Samsung A52 5G Fingerprint Detection Problem

(Topic created on: 06-20-2021 04:57 PM)
Members_lpKHAHh
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy A

For the past 2 days of using my new phone, I intuitively dont get the assurance that i can count on the fingerprint sensor. This is totally insane. I've never had so much technical noise over a simple fingerprint unlock mechanism.

1. Restriction to only 3 fingerprints only - but nevermind that. Main problems are below
  2. Fingers to perfectly target the sensor. Small real estate with no allowance for error. 80-90% detection doesn't suffice. Easily exhausts 5 failed tries to get locked out for 30s.
  3. I've re-read my fingers 4-5 times, ensuring to get maximum real estate of the diff permutations and angles in which i could press the sensor. 
  4. But this doesn't work in the long run after environmental/technical changes such as different moisture on thumb/post-shower/post-cold drink etc. Even a slightly damp thumb doesn't concession the unlock.
  5. Now when I'm reading my fingers for the nth time, the fingerprint detection doesn't even go through. It tells me that my finger is not fully on the sensor despite it being physically so.

I never had such problems w my old phone - Huawei P20. This is no excuse for so much technical noise over 1 simple fingerprint unlock.

Anyone else facing same problem? I think the problem lies within Biometrics.

My screen protector is from wolfrule.sg. But from what i understand, its no excuse to quote "screen protector problem".

No Excuses

• this is not about ensuring our fingers need to be perfect tip top for an unlock. i think all of us know how unpractical that is given that our phones are used in harsh environments everyday. And when we need to unlock, we do so without batting an eyelid - transparent process.
  • A bit of moisture, face oil or even humidity here and there should not severely affect performance of the unlock.
  • This experience is over the top. I find it a red flag in performance.

0 Likes
10 Comments
SamsungNantakkumar
Options
Galaxy A

Hello Members_lpKHAHh. I am Avinash, from Samsung.

We're sorry to learn of your experience with your Samsung Galaxy A52. May we invite you to book an appointment at our service centre - https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/where-to-find-samsung-service-centre-in-singapore/

where our service engineer will assess your device and advise you accordingly.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Galaxy A

managed to ascertain today its due to the Screen Protector. the additional one was too thick.

Error rate has significantly decreased but occasionally still has real estate hit and misses.

Moving forward, i still recommend Samsung to increase the real estate on screen for the Fingerprint Sensor. Increase the target area and prevent hit and miss whilst on the move.

Galaxy A
In this case, do try to register your fingerprint when it's damp. I had to register both dry and damp thumbprint on my A51 due to almost the same problem as yours.
0 Likes
Galaxy A

i think i have more problems to even get the FP detected at the reg stage and then getting timed out coz of it.

Did u face same problem too?

0 Likes
Solution
ccollin
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
Could it be because of your screen protector, if any? Because the Galaxy A series uses an optical under-screen fingerprint sensor, and some types of screen protector (especially the matte type) don't really allow for much light to enter the sensor such that it can read the fingerprint.
One method to register more than 3 fingerprints is to switch between two fingers when registering "one" fingerprint, so theoretically you could register up to 6 fingerprints.
0 Likes
Galaxy A

went to the shop today. managed to ascertain is the screen protector.

Error rate has significantly decreased

0 Likes
Galaxy A

Damned flawed design of the Biometrics system application by Samsung. Dont know whether the developers even know nuts about the nuances behind sound and robust fingerprinting but yet secure.

We dont have all day to ensure perfection of our fingers and dont expect us to anticipate the computer on your behalf over such technical noise that only pisses the user more than the phone.

0 Likes
Galaxy A

How to Fix Fingerprint Error on Galaxy A71, A50, A51, A70, A30 - YouTube

Ever since March 2020, the same problem is still rampant inside the Biometrics software! This is outrageous. I agree its not a phone problem. Its a firmware problem!

As of date my A52 has versions

Fingerprint 5.1.0.4

Face recognition 2.0.1.13

It is obvious that Fingerprint 5.1.0.4 is a problematic software release for the fingerprint detection. No way does any "secure" fingerprint reading mechanism make it such an extreme pain to get by and live by. Those are mutually exclusive matters and its clear that its a firmware problem.

Please look into this.

I would kindly like to find a way/means in which i can rollback the sw version to previous and more consistent iterations which dont have this problem!

0 Likes
JuzzNg
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
Samsung has this problem even with its high end Note 20 ultra. Ridiculously slow about 2-3secs to detect and detection area is so small and any Offset by 2-3mm it cannot detect. I use Vivo and its almost less than 1 sec and you are not constraint to a small area of detection. Very disappointed. Me and my wife's fingerprint also having issues.
0 Likes