Original topic:

Unable to hear sound for media

(Topic created on: 05-02-2021 06:21 AM)
Marlzz
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy A
I cannot hear sound for any media including YouTube and WhatsApp vidoes on my A8. Any idea why this is happening?
0 Likes
14 Comments
Vía
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
Hi @Marlzz
So there could be there are many paths to take. However to rule out
- Application error
- Software errors
- Hardware errors

1. Kindly provide the following;
- Device Model
- Software Version

2. Do you remember any changes (to the setting) that were made?

2. Was anything done differently, or any distinct app/OS behaviour you remember before this issue began?

3. What steps have you already taken (i.e. reboot, force closure of apps, revisited setting to see)

...The only reason why this important is because we don't want to carry out any drastic measures; one should only start from the least to most invasive steps when troubleshooting.

1059318461331_723_403_copyImage_11953.jpg

Marlzz
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
Hello Via,

Thank you for your reply. Here are my responses:

Device model SM-A530W
Software Information

Screenshot_20210502-091303_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-091308_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Marlzz
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
2. I did not do anything different. This happened all of a sudden.
0 Likes
Marlzz
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
3. I have tried to restart the phone, checked volume settings. Everything seems to be fine.
0 Likes
Marlzz
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
Interestingly if you see the screen shot below, that's the image I get when I go to view downloaded videos. The volumb icon on left bottom corner is shown as mute. I am able to unmute it, however as soon as I click on play video, it goes on mute again.

Screenshot_20210502-091917_Gallery.jpg

0 Likes
Galaxy A
Hi Marlzz, which app you are using on the screenshot to play video?
0 Likes
Marlzz
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
Hi Tallman, it's an mp4 file. I couldn't figure our what app, I assume its default app of samsung. Also I am facing this issue with all media. For eg, when I play videos on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, etc, the video plays but I dont hear the sound!
0 Likes
Vía
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
Hi, @Marlzz

First, thank you for providing as much information as possible. I appreciate it 🙂

It is known that issues around sound and audio playback are clearly defined when Software or Hardware is the cause. Your device is running Android 9, pending an Android 10 update.

I have a feeling that software is the cause. Regardless, I need you to go through troubleshooting motions; and I'll explain in the end.

Do the basics for me please:

1. I need you to rule if it's an isolated issue on specific apps:

- Try recording a video with your phone's native camera app, then on other camera apps
- Play it back to test
- Try the voice recorder app and test to playback.

Whether not is either of the results are in your favour, continue to the next step
- I'm sure you've already uninstalled and reinstalled these apps. If no, do that now!
- Does the issue persist, continue to step 2.

2. Hardware (and a bit or Software) rule-out:

- Backup your data.
- Update your device.

https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/how-to-remove-external-factors-that-affect-the-sou...

The reason why we go through these steps is to be able to retrace & pinpoint where the issue emerged from. Hence, we start from the least to the most invasive.
0 Likes
Vía
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
Oh wow @Marlzz,
Lol! I just found an article from 2018 it is direct proof:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/06/users-report-sound-problems-with-samsung-galaxy-a8-2018.htm...

(P.S. Always copy paste links!)

Please do let me know how things turn out🙂
0 Likes