Original topic:

Nightography and Northern Lights

(Topic created on: 10-01-2022 05:27 AM)
jonloo1126
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Gallery
I've recently been on a trip to Finland and was extremely fortunate to witness the mystical Northern Lights! Curious of the capabilites of S22 Ultra, I decided to take a few shots with it and got some pretty good results.

The pictures of stars were taken on Pro Mode (F1.8, 30" Shutter Speed, ISO400 mm) on the main camera.

Meanwhile the other 2 shots of the Northern Light were taken on Nightography mode with maximum shutter speed (9 seconds I think). 

Considering the absolute darkness at the location, these photos are pretty great coming from a mobile phone. Furthemore these are not even edited before which could even further improve the photo.

Try out some night shots when you guys are out and about next time!

Starry night! Placed the phone flat on the ground with a 15 seconds shutter speed.

Obtained a respectable shot of the Northern Light through the phone.

Another take of the Northern Light using my bare hands because I only have a Tripod for my camera and not the phone!

9 Comments
WinnieC
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Gallery
Thank you for the tips. The photo are great.
Hxzeem
Active Level 6
Galaxy Gallery
absolutely stunning, kinda one of my wish list to see aurora for my self too 🤩

been wondering how's the photo would it be if the shutter speed more than 9secs 😁
0 Likes
jonloo1126
Active Level 6
Galaxy Gallery
Nightography only had a default max of 9s haha, and any further would also result in blurriness as your hands may be shaking a lot under the cold weather. I guess the next best option is to use Pro mode, set a longer shutter speed, and mount it on a Tripod.
0 Likes
Hxzeem
Active Level 6
Galaxy Gallery
aa, yes, you took your photo in night mode, i thought in pro mode. of course you need a tripod and play around with shutter speed and iso, and i believe the result will be stunning without light pollution as in this post from z4, flexing the flex mode🤯
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxyzflip/comments/xrd9l0/stars_in_banff_canada_taken_with_flip_4/
jonloo1126
Active Level 6
Galaxy Gallery
Hmm it comes down to personal preference. If you see, he used an ISO of 1600, which although brightens the photo but comes at the expense of photo noise and a bit of oversaturation. He did however compensated with editing on Snapseed so it turned out as a pretty good photo! I also agree that flex mode would have been really handy in this scenario.
0 Likes
Galaxy Gallery
Wow! Amazing shot! Nice photo ❤️ one of my bucket lists to witness the aurora ...For the starry night , maybe can try using Pro mode or Expert RAW app , you will get different effect 😀
0 Likes
jonloo1126
Active Level 6
Galaxy Gallery
Yes! Expert raw for amazing post production experience haha
GunasamssYT
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Gallery
Wow that looks very awesome!
0 Likes
ethanB
Active Level 5