Original topic:

Why better results with GCam?

(Topic created on: 05-29-2023 10:56 AM)
jgg
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Gallery
It's the second time I post here regarding the photo quality of the S23 Ultra. Although the main lense is absolutely fantastic, I can't help finding the GCam processing better. 

What do you think? Is it just a matter of taste or the GCam actually delivers a better result?

I love my S23 Ultra, it impresses me in many ways (including the camera!), so I want to prefer the stock app photos. But I just feel too often the need to edit them before sharing them. Or taking everything in RAW to make sure the result is good...

GCam

Samsung stock camera

Samsung stock app (I couldn't post the GCam version, but the difference in the highlights also shows on the two first pictures)

2 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Gallery

I know that Samsung's Camera has a better than excellent reputation. 

G-Cam, on most of posts I've seen on XDA & Telegram discussions, doesn't fare as well.

I'm sure that it is subjective to some extent anyway. 

If you're happier with the results using G-Cam, then continue to use it. 

I'm certainly not as good, or as interested in photography as some others here, but occasionally I'll play around with G-Cam, Samsung's Camera & Samsung's RAW. 

They all look pretty good to me. 

0 Likes
jgg
Active Level 6
Galaxy Gallery
I think you're totally right. I'm taking photos with Samsung phones since the.. S6 I think, and I've always prefered them to the competition.

Maybe that's why I'm becoming difficult, actually, expecting perfection from Samsung's camera.

What shouldn't happen, however, is overexposed highlights, as you can't recover the details after, and my gcam "experiment" makes me think that a good software update could fix that easily.
In the meanwhile, there's always a workaround (decreasing exposition manually, pro mode, Expert Raw etc.). I just hope that with the June update, very big apparently, no extra steps will be necessary. ;))
0 Likes