Original topic:

Android 10 issues (Note 10+)

(Topic created on: 01-09-2020 03:24 PM)
BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Options
Galaxy Note
I'm seeing a few issues here on my Note 10+ since upgrading to Android 10 on Jan. 06 and wondering if it's just me.

I did the upgrade then with all major os updates I factory reset the phone (did a wipe from the recovery menu screen then flashed the firmware in Odin out of habit from the days I used to flash ROMs I guess, just a bit OCD so I still do that for all new major os updates).

Anyway, 3 issues to report so far:

1) maybe more a Google issue and I'll report it to them too but want to say it here as well but smart lock trusted devices doesn't work at all. My phone is connected to my Galaxy Watch but will still require my password or fingerprint to unlock. When in my car it's now connected to 2 devices (car and watch) and still requires my password. What's the point of this feature if it's now completely useless? I know trusted places was always unreliable but now trusted devices is too?

2) in language and input, the text to speech has Samsung TTS and google for options. I went to google to set it up but figured I'll try Samsung TTS instead for a change and now I can't go back to Samsung TTS. It let's me pick it but when I back out of that screen it's back to googles TTS. I tried changing system language and playing with options and nothing fixes this so once you switch from Samsung TTS I can't get it back.

3) this was an option that disappeared with Android 9 for some stupid reason but I used it on my Note 8 and lost it with Android 8 and was hoping it would be back with the Note 10 or at least Android 10 but it's not. The feature is the handwriting recognition or whatever it was called when the s-pen hovered over a text entry field a small bubble with a "T" in the middle would appear and pressing it with the a-pen would open a-pen input field which was great as it allowed me to use SwiftKey and still use my s-pen to write text messages and so on since I hate Samsung's keyboard but this feature disappear with android 9 and still hasn't returned. Samsung, why removed features from the s-pen making it slightly less useful when the s-pen is the whole reason people buy the Note series phones? Please add this feature back because I haven't seen it since my Note 8 got the Android 9 update last year. 
11 Comments
MystTake
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
1. Try re-registering those devices on smart lock. It works fine with my cars and galaxy buds.

3. Handwriting mode works fine on Samsung keyboard as soon I pop out the spen it switches to handwriting mode. and you can manually do it too
0 Likes
BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Ya forgot to mention but I did try removing and re-registering the devices as trusted devices.

As for handwriting, ya works fine if I use Samsung's stock keyboard but I hate it and have used SwiftKey for years and it used to have that small popup bubble with a "T" in the middle that allowed s-pen writing even if using a keyboard other than Samsungs stock keyboard. I want this back, I don't wanna have to switch keyboards every time I want to write and then back when done writing with the s-pen.

Samsung always goes 1 step forward then 2 steps back. It's quite annoying.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I have done an OTA clean install of Android 10. My findings:

1) haven't connected any devices yet so no comment.

2) no issues switching between Google and Samsung

3) Samsung has auto detect that can be enabled/disabled with Pen detection. If S Pen detected it will immediately go to handwriting mode. I think that is why they no longer use the 'T' as it's no longer needed.

For SwiftKey switch to Samsung handwriting, enable show keyboard in navigation bar. Go into Samsung keyboard and enable Pen detection. When using handwriting, click the keyboard icon and select Samsung keyboard. It should auto launch to handwriting keyboard mode. When done click keyboard icon and switch back.

IIRC Swiftkey never had handwriting keyboard and relied on switching to Samsung keyboard with the 'T'. With that eliminated you now have to go through the above process to get the Samsung handwriting keyboard.
0 Likes
BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Ya ye he little T made it faster than switching keyboards back and forth all the time when I wanted to use s-pen for input then back to SwiftKey after. It's just a pain switching keyboards for this when it used to be an option before that avoided this. As for SwiftKey ya they don't seem to want to add handwriting to their keyboard yet its been asked for for a while now. Maybe I'll check out gboard and see if that one is tolerable so no constant switching. SwiftKey is by far the best for typing but sometimes I just want to write instead. Anyway, hope Samsung either improves their keyboard or adds the little T popup back as an option.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
Don't bother with GBoard. you'll experience the same issue. You still need to switch keyboards. Samsung keyboard is the only keyboard that allows auto switch now.
BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Ah I see, good to know, thanks for that bit of info. I won't waste time then with gboard either and guess I'll deal with switching between SwiftKey and stock or just learn to deal with sticking to Samsung's keyboard and hope they keep improving it.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
Have you tried clearing cache again and rebooting to see if that might resolve issue 1 and 2? I know I had issue with switching voices after the clean install. After a reboot, it seems to have resolved itself (at least for me).
0 Likes
BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Ya tried that earlier today still no luck. I'm at a loss but I'll just wait and hope it resolves eventually.
0 Likes
BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
I had to uninstall the samsung tts updates then it worked, so that's resolved now at least.
0 Likes