Original topic:

Digital Video Stabilization poor quality

(Topic created on: 11-26-2020 08:28 AM)
corporatei
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note

When digital video stabilization is turned on, on any Samsung devices, the quality of the video degrades significantly, and in interior conditions, you may even see some fuzzy or blurry look at times.

However, when digital video stabilization is turned off, the quality improves significantly.

I am currently using Note 10+.  I think this problem happens on all Samsung phones.  I used to have S7, S8, and have this similar problem.

Example 1:  With digital video stabilization on, on Auto Video mode (note the blurry and fuzzy look):

Example 2:  With digital video stabilization turned on, in Auto Video mode (note the blurry and fuzzy look):

Example 3:  With digital video stabilization turned off, in Auto Video mode - No Blurry/Fuzzy look.

0 Likes
6 Comments
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi corporatei, Image Stabilization or DIS reduces the level of blur or distortion in your videos that can result from unsteady or shaky movement. If sufficient light is not available during the shooting in low (dark) environments, a slight loss of quality may appear. I suggest you to try taking the video in good light conditions and check if you can see the issue.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hi Keagan

This symptom only happens in low lighting such as interior shopping malls, stores, indoor environments where there is not a lot of lighting.  Therefore, with digital image stabilization on, the quality is poorer and has this blurring effect.  The temporary workaround for this is to use Pro Video, and adjust the shutter speed to at least 1/160 and increasing the ISO speed.  Then that quality and blur problem would not be too apparent.  Is there any other solutions you can offer so that I can use Auto Video mode, with DIS on, and still record higher quality video in low lighting condition?    Any chance can make a software update to address this quality issue of DIS?  Or is it also possible to update the Pro Video so that can manually adjust the shutter speed but have Auto ISO?

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

This is another video taken in Auto Video Mode, with Digital Stabilization on, in an indoor environment.  See the blurry and lower quality effect?

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hello,

Just wanting to summarize:  if the digital stabilization is turned on, there is a fuzzy look and slight loss of quality in low light indoor environments?  But if the digital stabilization is turned off, then there is a better quality look?

How can this be fixed on Samsung side?  And has this been addressed in Samsung S21 Ultra phone as well?

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

When will Samsung fix this software problem?

I cannot buy Samsung S21 because I don't have confidence in Samsung fixing problems.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Case #19819172

0 Likes