Original topic:

Esim usage

(Topic created on: 07-28-2021 04:38 PM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Note
I do have a note 20 from tmobile usa and has esim enabled. Can I use the esim for local number in Canada. Thanks

10 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

AFAIK, non of the Canadian Carriers support ESIM for Samsung phones.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy Note
Thanks, I thought the esim code is generic for android and not the brand of the phone.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Yeah I suspect that the issue is between Samsung Canada & some kind of arrangement / agreement with the Canadian Carriers. Clearly it's not a hardware issue as your phone definitely is capable of using E-SIM.

Maybe Apple has paid enough money to the Canadian Carriers to block Samsung from using E-SIM. Call me skeptical lol. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy Note
It's painfully true😀
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Huh? eSIM does not require device whitelisting, unlike IMS before. Every device that supports eSIM can register one. You could even load it in your Windows laptop, were it configured with WWAN (mostly the thinnest laptops use eSIM. Others still prefer a proper SIM slot. Option only available on business-class devices such as ThinkPads or light ARM-based ones such as the Galaxy Book S. See with your OEM)
0 Likes
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, unfortunately, Samsung mobile devices don't support ESim. ESim availability may vary depending on country and carrier.

Please find the link to find the specifications for Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G: https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-note20/specs/

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy Note
Sorry Valeriya, did you even read my whole comment. I guess not. My question was whether I can use esim in canada as my note 20 phone is from Tmobile and has esim enabled. Just parroting what samsung canada has on the website does not serve any purpose as it is abundantly clear none of the canadian version have esim enabled Anyhow thanks for your reply
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
You should be. Canadian carriers offer detailed steps to get your eSIM registered for their network. All you have to do is to own a device that exposes its eSIM (as you've rightly highlighted, Canadian models DO have it but Samsung Canada decided choice was a bad thing) and then request an eSIM voucher. It's quite simple, really.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy Note
Thanks so much CH. This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I can give it a try.
0 Likes