Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

How exactly does heart sensor work?

(Topic created on: 02-17-2021 10:22 PM)
asifakberali
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy Note
I'm quite surprised that an old potato such as, Galaxy Note5 has a heart sensor. I just did a manual diagnose of every component, and all seems to be working excellent even after 5-6yrs old this used phone. Pretty solid hardware 'eh? ☻
Or perhaps, I take good care of my electronics. 😃

So, how do I measure my heart rate? I know my BP must be low or high during this pandemic. 😭💔
I still want to know the digits though. 

Any app I should use? I have Samsung Health. ☺

Looking forward to your replies.🙄

- Asif ☻ 

6 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

There's an app called BP-Labs that can measure your BP & both HR & BP use light for the measurements. The HR measurement is quite similar to the finger HR measurement used in hospitals.

Samsung Health v6.4x from apk mirror has some features & functionality that Samsung has removed from the latest version of Samsung health. 

Solution
FattyP
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
Samsung health worked great for me. Just make sure you hold your finger steady intil it finishes. On mine it's approx. 10 seconds or so. Here's the sensor on the S7. I think it's the same for the Note 5. Checked it on Youtube.

Pic 3 - Sensor

Press "Measure" on Heart Rate section.

Place and hold finger on sensor.

Wait till it gets to 100%

That's it.

I have version 6.15.1.003 of Samsung Health and just tried it after it updated. Works great.

20210217_201600_2700.jpg

20210217_201655_2702.jpg

20210217_201457_2699.jpg

asifakberali
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
Wow Fatty, thank you, I just measured mine .. had no idea about other things I could add to the list. My heart rate reading is bad due to the state I was in. 😃

Screenshot_20210217-230259.png

FattyP
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
🤣🤣🤣 That was funny asifak. I think that's in my S7 owner's manual. Never measure heart rate while pooping. LOL

Thanks for the laugh and also for accepting my solution. Have a great night man. ✌️
Halston
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi asifakberali,

Thanks, FattyP for sharing the information.

Now, as you already know how to measure Heart rate. Below are few other details which may help you.

The heart rate sensor measures your heart rate in Beats per Minute using an optical LED light source and an LED light sensor. The light shines through your skin, and the sensor measures the amount of light that reflects back. The light reflections will vary as blood pulses under your skin past the light. The variations in the light reflections are interpreted as heartbeats.

Heart rate chart-1.png

For best results when measuring your heart rate:

• Remove the protective plastic from the heart rate measurement sensor before taking measurements. 
  • Do not look directly at the heart rate sensor’s lights. Doing so may impair your vision.
  • If the heart rate sensor is dirty, wipe the sensor and try again.
  • Take heart rate measurements when you are seated and relaxed.
  • Do not move your body while taking heart rate measurements. Doing so may cause your heart rate to be recorded inaccurately.
  • If the measurement is very different from the expected heart rate, rest for 30 minutes and measure it again.
  • Measurements are calculated using average values and may need to be repeated at least five times. During winter or in cold weather, keep yourself warm when measuring your heart rate.
  • Do not talk, yawn, or breathe deeply while taking heart rate measurements.

When you measure your heart rate using the heart rate sensor, choose your status depending on your level of activity at the time of the measurement:

- General status is best measured when you are not resting, but not working out either. This is for typical day-to-day activity.

- Before Exercise status is best measured after warming up or stretching before a workout.

- Resting status is best measured when you first wake up or after sitting still for 5 minutes.

- After Exercise status is best measured directly after a workout.

FattyP
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
Thank you for explaning how the process of determining your heart rates work. It's super interesting. Surprised as well that these units can show a user an ECD kinda graph and all that info, wirelessly?
0 Likes