Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra Camera - Defective?

(Topic created on: 07-19-2021 07:57 PM)
Members_T9XESh9
Beginner Level 4
Options
Galaxy Note

I purchased this device in October 2020 at the height of the pandemic here in Canada and had not really been out much/taking pictures of anything because everything was closed. Now that we are able to gather again and go out, I have noticed some serious deficiencies with the camera on my Note 20 Ultra. I have read extensively on these forums and other places that would indicate that there are some serious issues with the camera causing blurriness, even on "AUTO" mode.

Below is a standard picture I took from inside a coffee shop with normal lighting in what I would call a completely average photo-taking scenario and it is barely discernable. The settings are all on default. It seems to clear up when you either zoom out to 0.5x or zoom in to 1.5x, but for a flagship that runs north of $2,000 CAD (512 GB) to be unable to take a clear picture without coaxing is really not acceptable at all.

This past week, also, my screen went black for no reason (phone was still on - sounds were still coming through) and it had to be replaced as part of a warranty service that wiped everything and had me without a phone for a week.

There is no way that this camera behaviour is normal, right? It seems that many people have this issue too, though. Is there any recourse for those of us outside of the return period, but still within the warranty period? I will be travelling next month and would like have the ability to have someone take a picture for me without having to give them an explanation of how to get it into focus.

Major disappointment. My S8+ and Note 9 were both cheaper and better in every way. 

2021-07-18 16.00.17.jpg

10 Comments
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, Compared to camera image sensors of previous devices, Galaxy Note20 Ultra has a larger image sensor that supports high resolution. It allows users to take bright pictures even in dark places and to take clear pictures of distant objects. The larger the image sensor, the longer the focal length is necessary. So, the closer the shooting object is, the image may be out of focus. However, this is a normal phenomenon according to the camera image sensor's characteristics, not device defects. It is recommended that you do not position subjects within too close distances from the device to take clear photos and keep the proper distances (about 10cm and longer) between the device and object. In addition, if you want to take images of close objects, please utilize the 2x button to zoom in and shoot close-up shots. All Samsung smartphones undergo rigorous internal inspection tests and are always being controlled under Samsung's high level of quality standards internally.

0 Likes
Members_T9XESh9
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Note

Hello:

I was standing completely stationary in a reasonably well lit room at approx. 3m from the subject. Nothing in that photo is discernable and this is the case with more then 3/4 of the photos I snap on the fly. Even just a general picture of a building from across the street is completely blurry. I have never encountered a device, let alone one that is supposed to be a flagship, have difficulties taking a picture without coaxing and zooming in or out to even get moderate focus.

If I had wanted that level of engagement in the photo taking process, I'd use my DSLR. 

This larger image sensor you speak of which is supposed to allow me to take clearer, better pictures even in dark places is also a total botch job. Here is a picture I just took outside (approx. 10:30 PM) with some street lights - one on night mode, one on auto. Also blurry.

Good thing I am not relying on this camera to take a picture of a car fleeing the scene of a crime - nothing would be visible. 

I can say without a doubt that previous devices have not had this issue and that images taken in low light are clearer in ever way.

Just to make sure, I can also confirm that there are no screen protectors or plastic on the lens. This camera is a disaster and I'd like someone to at least admit that it's problematic and offer some semblance of recourse or solutions for us. 

I am obviously not the only person experiencing this. Please see just a couple Reddit threads with this complaint:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Note20/comments/iq6l2c/note_20_ultra_camera_blurry_photos/

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/imsflv/whats_wrong_with_my_note_20_ultra_camera_its_so/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote20/comments/kup9du/note_20_ultra_fuzzyblurry_and_out_of_focus_mai...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote20/comments/imvzqa/anyone_else_feel_like_the_note_20_ultra_takes/

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsunggalaxy/comments/ifinef/note_20_ultra_camera_focuses_dead_center_and/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote20Ultra/comments/jddg9l/camera_blurry_no_matter_what_i_do/

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/jasroq/samsung_galaxy_note_20_ultra_blurry_picture/

This is not normal. With a phone camera, I should be able to whip it out and point and shoot at whatever I am trying to reasonably capture, be it the scenery, a document I am trying to save or picture of someone. 

If 3/4 of the pictures are going to come out looking like they have been deliberately obscured to protect the identities of the subjects like they're in the Witness Protection Program, what's the point of having it to begin with?

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining - this thing is screwed up, the company knows they screwed up, we (the users) definitely know they screwed up, just admit it, fix it, and make this up to the customers who have paid a pretty penny to have a "flagship".

I will note that the explanation provided is incredible too. In the face of damning evidence (i.e. an entire gallery of blurry photos that even an entry level smart phone from 6 years ago could capture reasonably clearly), we are told to accept that not only is there nothing wrong, but in fact, the technical capability of this camera is so high that we actually can't even handle how good it is!

What planet am I living on?! 

Recall this thing and give everyone their money back along with a used S10+ or something that can take a picture clearly when standing completely still in broad daylight. 

2021-07-19 22.18.08.jpg2021-07-19 22.17.30.jpg

0 Likes
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
That whole picture is blurred. Foreground and background ..... of course the usual excuses will be made and no attempt to help will be given. It's the dilemma of the Canadian consumer who takes the brunt of Samsung's exploitation.
Compared to the USA and other developed countries, Canada is just a small market. With a total of 37 million people and only less than half the population buying Samsung products ... we are castrated as to getting Samsung to respect our money and investment.
Georgine
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, The definition of photos may be affected by the distance between the device and subjects when taking photos. If you take pictures of the objects to too close distances that Auto Focus may not be available normally, taken subjects may be blur and unclear. Especially if you don’t keep the proper distances when shooting the photos, videos with high resolution or high zoom ratio, the Auto Focus feature doesn’t work properly and it causes unclear and blur images in the end.

Currently, smartphones had being used spherical lenses for device cameras, Distortions may differ by lens type and it severely occurs when the angle of view is wider and the distance up to the shooting object is shorter.

Additionally if you cover the device’s camera part with screen protector, sticker or a cover, covered camera will cause pictures with low quality and photos you take appear blurry.

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
You haven't taken a look at the picture, by the looks of it. Nothing is in focus, despite the fact that everything is farther than the minimal focus distance of the N20U. I say that as the owner of a working N20U since its launch. Please help this user rather than copy-pasting generic excuses.
Members_T9XESh9
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Note

It is so brutal - I really wanted to like this phone, and to be honest, loved my previous devices (S8+, Note 9) expecting that this would be a total game changer. Instead, I want to roll back. Just shows that newer doesn't always equal better.

0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, We request you to register an Error Report from the Samsung Members app by attaching the system logs. Open the Samsung Members app>> Menu >> Support >> Send feedback >> Error Report >> Send system log file.

With these logs, our team could analyze the performance and errors on the device and if there is anything related to the Samsung update that you have installed recently, we would push a fix through an update.

0 Likes
BloodWolfe
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Sorry to hijack this thread but Samsung Canada never takes responsibility for anything. Just one example... It took them 9 months to finally fix the Galawy Watch LTE that wasn't updating apps and all they would say is "perform a factory reset" even after I bought another (then returned it of course) and took a video of mine and the new one side by side same issue and they still claimed it just needs a reset.

That's just one example, I have too many to list and not enough time to waste on this **bleep** anymore.

Honestly, stay away from Samsung for your next phone. I regret going for the Note 20 Ultra for so many reasons. I've been loyal to Samsung for smart phones since the Galaxy SIII and for home stuff even longer with TV's, soundbar./stereo systems, etc. but never again. They've finally lost me so I suggest anyone reading all these issues to seriously reconsider buying Samsung products and look elsewhere. Grossly overpriced, customer service **bleep**, oh and we also pay premium for these devices and Samsung's own built-in apps have ads too even though I spent $2k on this phone!
0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, We suggest you get the device examined by the technician to get it repaired. I request you please reach out to live chat support by using the link below and they will help you with the service ticket. Please make sure you keep the pictures and BOS(Bill Of Sale) handy for review. www.samsung.com/ca/livechat Samsung is offering Door to Door service:

For In-warranty: We will arrange a convenient and safe pick-up service solution at your home. Contact us at 1-800-SAMSUNG, LIVE CHAT or text WECARE (932273) and we will assist in diagnosing your device through Samsung Remote Service. We will also arrange service pick-up and delivery if repair is required and will clean your product prior to delivery. If service pick-up is required, you will receive a FedEx shipping waybill from our agents via email. Once you have received your waybill, please schedule a convenient pick-up time for your device at your home by calling FedEx at 1-800-GoFedEx (1-800-463-3339). The health and safety of our customers, employees and partners remain our top priority. For all services requiring pick-up and delivery, please see https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/coronavirus.html for details on how FedEx is responding to COVID-19. Samsung will pay for the cost of shipping by FedEx from your home to the service centre and from the service back to your home. For repairs that are under the manufacturer’s warranty, there is no charge for the service to perform the repair for In-Warranty devices.

For repairs that are Out-of-Warranty, our Authorized Service Centre will determine the repair required and contact you with a repair quote and you will pay the service centre directly. In certain circumstances, an inspection fee may apply for any refused repair quotations.

0 Likes