Original topic:

Note 20 ultra screen freeze

(Topic created on: 09-17-2021 06:24 PM)
Toxicfire
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
So I factory reset my note 20 ultra to give to wife to use we set it back up but are facing issues.
So apps and games the touch screen will freeze up.
For example the game will still work but any tabs or buttons that are on the screen can't be pushed. 
I can drag down the notification bar no problem.
Also if I press the power button to turn screen off then back on the touch on the screen is working again.

Also sending a text message while typing the screen will do a fast glitch/flicker and the keyboard will go away but then I can click back on keyboard and all is fine again.

To mention I've had the phone for 7 months now and it's been perfect up until I did the factory reset and then after reset I did the September security update before setting phone up.

I've cleared cache I've factory reset the phone 3 times now but still doing it.

Could it be software related and how would I go about reinstalling the software?
I have unlocked note 20 ultra purchased from Samsung Canada.
0 Likes
32 Comments
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi Toxicifire, Could you follow the below steps and perform a factory reset once again and let us know the results?
Perform a factory data reset on your phone

Warning: You may need your Samsung account password or Lock screen password when resetting your phone. All your data will be erased. However, before resetting your phone, you can use Smart Switch or a cloud account to back up your data onto an SD card or USB drive. If you have encrypted your SD card, it must be decrypted before resetting your device. Before you reset the phone.

Make sure to back up your phone. All data and settings will be erased. Write down the username and password for the account that you used to back up your data. We recommend having your phone plugged into the wall charger during the reset process because it may take up to an hour. Make sure to decrypt your SD Card before the reset.

Navigate to Settings, search for and select SD, and then tap Decrypt SD card.

To perform the reset, navigate to Settings.

Search for and select Factory data reset.

Tap Factory data reset again and then tap Reset.

Use the on-screen prompts to complete the reset.

You may need to enter your Samsung account password or Lock screen password.

The phone or tablet will reboot.

When the phone reboots, it will have its original factory settings.

Now you will need to go through the initial setup to finish setting up the phone or tablet.

Before installing any apps, make sure that your phone or tablet is functioning normally.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

In more than a decade, I've never, ever seen a Factory Reset take more than a few minutes. 

If it's taking up to an hour, something is seriously wrong. 

But yes it's a good idea to have the device plugged into the charger during the process. 

Toxicfire
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
I did factory reset again, noticed the keyboard disappeared with texting.
Now the phone never had these issues then I factory reset and then when I went to set it up I did the September update right away before installed games and stuff now the phone has issue so it has to be from this update somehow.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Try running the phone in Safe Mode & see if you still have the glitches? 

Safe Mode will disable 3rd party apps, ie: apps that you downloaded from the Play Store or Galaxy Store. 

A factory reset SHOULD have fixed most issues, I'm not sure why you're still having them? 

You can download the stock Samsung firmware from sammobile.com, it's really, really slow to download, unless you pay for it. 

There's an app called Frija, developed by a member of XDA, & that's what I use, it's very fast, free AND SAFE! 

You download the Samsung Firmware to your computer... Put your phone into Download Mode & Flash the CORRECT Firmware with Odin (Samsung tool).

Or if you're not comfortable doing this, you could visit a Samsung Service center & ask them to examine your phone & if needed ask them to Flash the Firmware for you. I don't know if they'll want to charge you for any of this or not? 

Toxicfire
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
Would u have link to the correct firmware or pm me? I have canada unlocked purchased from Samsung.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

This is the link to sammobile.com/firmware 

When you open it, you SHOULD see the firmware for your device

SM-950W

You also need to download Odin from sammobile.com (you can find it other places, but NONE that I would even think about trusting!

You will have to sign up for a sammobile account, but it's free. 

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s8/firmware/#SM-G950W

The second link gives you more information & instructions. 

BACK UP YOUR PHONE FIRST WITH Smart Switch! 

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s8/firmware/SM-G950W/RWC/download/G950WVLU8CUF3/1560701/

Toxicfire
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
I don't have s8 haha it's a note 20 ultra sm-n986W bit no carrier. Canada.
WhT about the xda way?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Yeah sorry about that. I thought you had the S8 for some reason.

Here's the link to sammobile.com for your SM-N986W

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note-20-ultra-5g/firmware/#SM-N986W

Here's the link to Frija on XDA

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-checker.3910594/

Toxicfire
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
Thank you sir. I got that Frija now it says input model then 3 letter input before I can proceed. I'm kind of slow when it comes to this stuff haha. Use to do custom firmwares long time ago but forgot how all that stuff goes
0 Likes