Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra Shuts down

(Topic created on: 06-20-2022 07:16 AM)
meep
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
UPDATE

I found the issue and it was my silly oversight. If you had read my post history, you would know that I had to replace the digitizer and display, which was very involved. What I had forgotten to do was to secure the battery with the adhesive and it was moving around causing what I suspect was a short. The phone is behaving normally now.

‐-----------------

My Note 20 Ultra seems to shut down all the time. This started happening yesterday. It only happens when I'm not actively using it, so like when it goes to sleep, after a few minutes, but its unpredictable. 

Yesterday it was shutting down at seemingly random times when I wasn't using it. If it's in my cup holder in the car, or I put it in my sweaters kangaroo pocket, it would shut down.

Last night from 10pm until 9am this morning, there was never an instance where it had shut down. 
About 30 minutes ago, I noticed it was powered down.

Sometimes it would power back up when I use the power button, other times I would have to plug it in via USB even though it shows it has 43% charge.

This got me thinking that perhaps the phone isn't reporting the true charge level? Other than that I don't know what could be the cause. I'm on the latest Canadian firmware. I got about 20GB free space, and ram usage is low, using 8GB out of the 12.

The charge state as of this writing is 70% and its currently plugged in.
5 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

I'd start by Opening the Samsung Members app Click on Support & View Tests to check the health of the battery.

Next I'd Boot into Recovery & Wipe Cache.

Finally, if the battery is running poorly. Backup your device with Smart Switch & Factory Reset.

I don't THINK that it's likely the battery is dying, but it's always possible.

The battery in my S20 Ultra is working perfectly & it's a slightly older device than yours. 

0 Likes
meep
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
thanks. Your suggestions were my next steps. Samsung Members app automatically detected all the improper shutdowns and sent a report too.
Helenna
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi meep, we are sorry to hear that your'e facing this issue.

Please write back to us if your issue is resolved.

0 Likes
RossB
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note

Well mine has gone black and will come on for an hour then go black again. Samsung wants us to update or phones after getting crappy software updates. Nobody talks about it like they are scared not to get their free phones well go to reddit you will see people talking but Samsung knows this but says nothing hoping people will just fix or update to new phones. Can't wait for the court case.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Honestly, I've never, ever had any hardware or software issues, with the exception of my Note 4, which was several years old when the eMMc failed.

For me, the only good thing about Samsung, is the hardware, it certainly isn't Customer Service or Support, but that's based on what I've read here. Personally I never had to contact Samsung's Service Or Support. 

Software Updates are a little slow, but even that has improved a lot since just a few years ago.

Most issues can be resolved by Booting into Recovery & Wiping Cache, or worst case scenario, Factory Reset.

As for Reddit, it's kind of like the Craigslist of Tech..