Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra wrong internal storage

(Topic created on: 02-11-2023 01:54 PM)
Spartan_S117
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
I just bought a used Note 20 Ultra 5G, and I started with getting all the android and Samsung updates, after a fresh factory reset. Somewhere along the way, an update changed the readout of my original internal storage from 256GB to just 128GB. Even 3rd party apps are only reporting the 128GB. I have not found any similar reports or problems online yet.
0 Likes
17 Comments
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
I believe the standard storage of the N20U is 128GB. Unless who ever originally bought the 256GB version. The only other explanation is that there is a micro SD card That was dismounted from the O.S.
Spartan_S117
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
I did verify that it was 256gb after fresh factory reset. No sd cards installed. I did install one to see if that triggered an internal storage capacity read, but no dice. I'm just trying to gather ideas before doing another factory reset.
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
Just a thought, I wonder what version of software you have. Also how was it reset? Do you have a snap dragon version or exynos version?.
Spartan_S117
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
One UI v5.0
Android 13
snapdragon 865

Factory reset done through android interface.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

In Settings > About Phone what is the model number of your Note?

Also in Settings > About Phone > Status Information > Phone Status, does it say "Official"?

Screenshot_20230211_094909.jpg

Spartan_S117
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
SM-N986W
Phone status: official
0 Likes
Spartan_S117
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Some additional thoughts. Is it possible something partitioned my internal storage?

Also, I used the Samsung Smartswitch app to transfer from my old Note 9 to my Note 20. Now, my Note 9 does have 128gb. Could the smartswitch have copied some setting that overrides the internal storage display?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

No, it's not possible that something partitioned the internal storage. 

Android USED to support Adoptable Storage, where an external sd card could be formated to be used as internal storage, but this is no longer possible. 

What made you think that the device had 256 Gig, and where did you see this, if you did see it? 

Perhaps at one point there was a 128 Gig external sd card, and you just saw the total storage? 

0 Likes
Spartan_S117
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
After factory reset, the original Android os version (11?) correctly identified the internal storage under Device Care, and the sim tray was empty. I had not yet installed my sim card or ANY SD cards. Lol, I am tempted to do another factory reset and take a screenshot just to show you.
0 Likes