Original topic:

OneUI 3 N20U upgrade = missing music and a huge disaster

(Topic created on: 01-04-2021 10:41 PM)
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
The OneUI 3 upgrade completely erased all my music files! The storage usage on both my internal storage and my MicroSD is several GBs lower than prior to the update, corresponding to the size of my music library. Pathetic. I've checked everywhere on my phone, they're not hidden somewhere. I had a lot of storage available for the update to occur without needing to silently overwrite such data. For an update that was ready exactly one month and two days ago, it's really shameful.
Plus it seems that the option in Developer Settings to change the accent and adaptive icon shape is gone. If you changed those, you're stuck with them now. Great job Samsung.
Finally, why in the world did you remove my lock screen style?!? What was the absurd reason behind this major oversight???? It's barely taking any space on the device and it was looking great. Less is not more! Down to five styles available, which is really just 3 actual styles. If I didn't want choice, I'd have bought an iPhone. At least they don't serve ads in their basic apps.
To top it off, QuickStar no longer offers any customization to the colours and blur! Stop removing features!.
And now, instead of conveniently choosing between Ultra Power Saving Mode and regular power saving mode, nooooo, you have to go under a new menu that isn't evident at all!
Those things really make me regret my Note9. At least it would still have security patches without being inflicted this level of incompetence.
19 Comments
BDTech
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
lock screen style? do you mean these? (pic 2) Also, I heard that voice control was removed in One UI 3, can you confirm this for me please? (pic 1).

Screenshot_20210105-122644_Camera.png

Screenshot_20210105-122602_Always On Display.png

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
I did mean those, sadly (2-4). Plus, for extra legibility, the background for the notification icons is gone. Yay...
And no, that option is stills available (1) second option)
(Why is editing so messy now. Photos out of order and mysterious extra lines appear in posts with pics)

Screenshot_20210105-122852_Camera_21919.png

Screenshot_20210105-123121_AlwaysOnDisplay_21922.png

Screenshot_20210105-123426_Samsung Members.png

Screenshot_20210105-122925_Samsung Members.png

BDTech
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
What happens if you tap the clock icon in the second pic?
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
It leads to ClockFace... or rather, it would, as soon as it gets updated to be compatible with OneUI 3
0 Likes
BDTech
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
So it's completely gone? Like you can't scroll down or left/right or anything?

Maybe deleting clockface will have the old ones reappear?

Also, I thought that they made the shortcut icons only white in the update?
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Yes, completely gone and no, it won't work as I installed ClockFace after I noticed this frankly stupid change. Seriously Samsung, quit removing things that don't even impact bloat or battery life.
I'll miss you a lot, cool clock style

Screenshot_20200928-014519_Nova Launcher.png

CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Oh, the icons are buggy too now. They were fine after the update but not after I woke up, yay... Cleared cache and rebooted but nope, still in colour
0 Likes
CynicalJerk84
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
guess I will remove my SD card before updating since all my music is stored there. maybe then I won't loos it during the update.
0 Likes
Server
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
@CHMultimedia

- I'm sorry to hear/ read this and you being a long time member; this is both concerning and disappointing. I just recently 'upgraded' to the N20U and like you don't feel the value proposition was justified (yet). I presume you must have a backup of your music somewhere hopefully. There are not many reporting SD card wipes after update so maybe a hiccup in the install routine? There is always a downgrade option to 2.5 if things or fixes don't hash out fast enough.

Phones have become extremely personal devices and your reaction is totally understandable. Samsung should always value the input of their greatest fans, or they risk everything they built over the years, Loyalty!

cheers and HNY
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Hi!
Yes, I did have copies of my music, I have backups of all my data available. The issue was more that the update somehow specifically deleted this kind of data and nothing else, which is an issue.
Thanks and happy new year to you as well
0 Likes