Original topic:

Playing with Night Mode - N20U

(Topic created on: 08-23-2020 08:48 AM)
Tallman
Options
Galaxy Note
Last night, saw 2 bright stars in South direction. Look up at sky and clouds began to form. Immediately ran out front door and took some shots, having some fun time with my N20U and N10+.

I think is Saturn (Left) and Jupiter (Right). Due to the fact that I am inside city, my phone can't capture the Galaxy.

First off, playing with built-in night mode

I can see that N20U really improved the night mode from N10+. Note10+ was over exposure if you see the light of the house. Seems like EV +2. Also, there are 2 yellow dots on top, which was the light reflection 😅. But N20U, able to see details and no light reflection. Very well done in N20U night mode. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 Also, colours are not rich on N20U which closes to bare eyes view.

Then, played with Note20U with Pro mode. I tried to shoot Great Bear constellation before. I was using ISO50. It was good. But I want the stars more brighter. So, tried couples settings.

ISO: 400  Exp: 15"

ISO: 400  Exp: 8"

ISO: 400  Exp: 2"

ISO: 400  Exp: 1"

From above shots, shooting night sky seems to be push the ISO up to 400 is better. ISO 50 is too dark. Although you can enlarge the picture to see the stars. But ISO 400 is better, even no need to enlarge the picture to see the stars. ISO 400 with 2 seconds exposure looks good in night sky within city. 1 second is too dark, in my point of view. But of course it all depends on light sources around you. 

In conclusion, N20U doing pretty good job in night mode and Pro mode is also good at taking stars pictures. 🤩🤩🤩 If there is a chace to go out city limit, really want to try more Astrophotography with my N20U. 😊
13 Comments
Galaxy Note
wow, the first comparison says it all, especially looking at the windows where the Note10+ overexposed it and the Note20U almost perfectly balances the levels. I also really like how the Note20U actually does a great job with the noise reduction and that's very visible when comparing it the Note10+. Great comparison! This did a really good job showcasing the improvements, I am curious though on how Gcam with Night Sight would look on the Note20U
Galaxy Note
Thanks ZMAHD, may be you can try Gcam and compare some pictures. 😀
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi Tallman, Pictures are very good and the night mode comparison is quite helpful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Tallman,

I think Note20ultra  has a better camera lens and can make better pictures but as you say if it's  a  over exposure , this can be modify by the Samsung's  ? Programmation  ? Of the application. 

We all know than over exposure was the problem for the Note 10+ and maybe S10  so i hope Samsung will make a update to correct this in the future but definitively your picture is better . 

Nanocell combine with laser is really a better system, I'm disappointed to have believed some useful people here who say it was worthless and the Note10plus was still the best buy.

Thanks for those pictures, i was waiting for. 

Galaxy Note
That why Pro mode is better for N10 and S10. We can decrease the Exp value. As you speak, software could be able to fix the over exposure in night mode for N10 and S10. 😄
0 Likes
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Tallman, you wrote this : That why Pro mode is better for N10 and S10. We can decrease the Exp value.
Do you mean you cannot on the Note20ultra ?

You also wrote this :
As you speak, software could be able to fix the over exposure in night mode for N10 and S10
Am i wrong ?

Do you still have this option on the Note20 ultra to avoid over exposure ?
Galaxy Note
@Cassidy - nothing wrong.

I haven't see the AF lock and AE lock in my N10+ or N20U.
0 Likes
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Tallman
I'm taking about this feature
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
@Cassidy - Oh...yes, still has this function in N20U. I rarely use this features coz I am on manual focus mode most of the time. Shooting the stars cannot rely on Auto focus, have to do the manual 😅
0 Likes