Original topic:

Samsung note 20 ultra 5g screen Cracked

(Topic created on: 06-17-2022 05:42 PM)
timk204
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy Note
After a year of owning the phone. And only half way through my contract. And taken good care of my device. Exactly a month a half after my "manufacturers warranty" runs out. The screen cracked 🤦‍♂️... I don't drop my phone always taken good care of it. Has been in a case since Purchased. Made contact with several places all asking $500+ just to replace the screen. Even directly from Samsung $400+. Noticed on the Samsung forums this is a common issue. And yet I'm the one forking up the cash for repairs because it happened after the one year mark of my ownership. I love this phone don't get me wrong. But c'mon samsung $400+ for a screen replacement? And your "certified techs" are charging more!. The rep told me that it would cost the same amount if I send it in to samsung themselves or go to a local technician. Called up the place they told me to go. They told me it was $500. Not $400.... phone is over $2,000 new In Canada... there should be a recall done on these screens as I said. This is a common issue.... absolutely gutted to have to fork up the extra cash to have it replaced.. 
0 Likes
9 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Sorry to hear about your phone but, How did the screen crack? 

It's a bit late now, but having a device protection plan, through Samsung, your Carrier, Credit Card etc, is probably your best bet for the future.

timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
Absolutely no idea. The "how" part. Alls I know is. I looked at my phone one min. It was find. Looked at it again. There was a Crack. And I know it wasn't anyone else. I live alone. 🤷‍♂️. The Crack goes from right to left across my screen. Luckily a few cm's above the thumb print scanner. It's literally a hair line Crack. When the screen is on. You can't see it. In fact. I honestly thought that's what it was for a half a second. Then realized nope it's an actual Crack.. but yeah. As I said. Can't see it with the screen on. But you can feel it. And it is visible when the screens off.
0 Likes
Ray1
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note

Is there any chance you have a tempered glass screen protector on your phone??

If you did it is likely just a crack in the screen protector and the phone screen is allright under it. I have had this happen lots of times and changing the screen protector makes the phone look new again

I have a Tab S7+ with no screen protector on it that has cracked diagonally from corner to corner and like yours you only see it when the screen is off but it continues to work normally so I haven't worried about fixing it

Only bothers when you look at it with the screen off.

0 Likes
timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
Nope. No tempered glass screen protector. None of them stay on the phone long enough. Because of the curved edges. I've try many different types from cheap to expensive ones. They just don't stay on the phone.
0 Likes
Helenna
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi timk204, we are sorry about your phone.

If there is no tempered glass screen protector, we suggest you to get it fixed by any authorized service center. Unfortunately, it is a paid service.

0 Likes
timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
No tempered glass. Unfortunately as I said above. None of them seem to stay on the phone because of the curved edges. And yes. I am aware of the authorized service center. Which again I will mention they are asking $500 just to replace the screen. Which is ridiculous.. even called Samsung. They quoted me $400.. and as I said as well. The screens are prone to Cracking by themselves. As I've seen on many forums. Which I do believe they should be covered and recalled and replaced at 0 cost to the customer. Even if the phone is a year old. As I said. I have a case on my phone. A Crack like this. Just just happen without it been hit on the sides. As there is no direct impact point on the front of the screen. Which if there was. I would understand that been the customers fault. But do to how it's cracked. And many others have had this exact same issue. This is a manufacturers defect...
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

I don't know about the Note 20 Ultra, but on my S20 Ultra I use Whitestone Dome tempered glass & an Incipio Dual Pro case with no issues. In fact I've never (knock on wood) had a screen break, cracked or scratched, since a Motorola Razr, which I did drop in my garage..

I've been using Whitestone since they came out with it, don't know if the liquid adhesive use just keeps it all together, but well worth it in my opinion. 

timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
I haven't cracked a screen in a long time.. the last "screen" issue I had was on my note 5. Where I got a 2inch scratch on the back glass of my phone about a month after owning it. Which completely voided my warranty..... there was only one other time I have ever had a "cracked screen" but that was on my iPod touch years ago. Never on a cellphone.. this is the first time I've had a cracked screen.. which again. Isn't my doing.. 👎. If it was. Then yes. I'd take full responsibility over it. But it's hard to justify taking the blame. When you look at your phone one minute and it's fine. And the next there is a Crack.. as I said. I live alone. So? How did it happen?. The phone wasn't dropped. It was sitting on my desk. Nothing fell onto it. There is no direct impact point. I guess I have a ghost 🤷 ♂️
0 Likes
meep
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
I wish I knew this before I spent $500 on a new digitizer and OLED panel, but if only the glass is broken it is ridiculously easy and less expensive to replace as it is only adhered to the edges of the frame, unlike previous iterations where the OLED was glued directly to the glass. Removing the OLED from the frame, however, is very time consuming, difficult and carries a very high risk of damage. It took me about an hour. Bonus though is that it's a flexible OLED panel. If anyone reading this, cares.20220617_220927_44573_1655512856.jpg