Original topic:

[Tips sharing] Split screen

(Topic created on: 04-10-2021 08:56 AM)
Tallman
Options
Galaxy Note
Hi Members, since OneUI 3.0, the way of Split Screen has changed. We need to preset the apps before using the split screen. Or we have to choose the apps that on Edge Screen. What about apps that is not on Apps Edge? Not effective like before. 😤😤😤 For instance, While on the phone, a person said want to make an appointmet with you. You do split screen, but Calendar app not on your Apps Edge and recently not been used (only 4 recent apps show on Apps Edge)? 🤔

If make a search on forum, couple posts have been made talking about split screen not working good after OneUI 3.0. 😪😪😪

In the old days, we can do split screen with any apps we want (Apps that support split screen). Recently, I played around a feature and found a work around temporary🤩. I am not sure if everyone already know this tips, maybe some advanced users already knew. If this is not new to you, you can ignore the post. If you found this work around useful to you, thank you for reading the post. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

So, the work around is using "Open in pop-up view" when your apps opened, let's use the Phone app again for example. While on the phone talking to someone and you need to look at the Calendar. First of all, put your phone to spearker mode. Click Recent (the 3 strokes on bottom left conrner). On Phone app, click the top icon.

Then, this time choose "Open in pop-up view" instead.

Once Phone app changed to Pop-up view, now you can move Phone app everywhere. Also, you can swipe up to App Drawer, you can swipe left or right from Home screen, and you can click any pinned apps on home screen. In my example below, I use Pop-up view on my Phone app, then open Calendar app at background.

Once you have 2 apps opened. Click on the blue bar on Phone app to show split screen tool bar.

Click on the far left Split Screen icon and done. Ta Da...we have split screen anytime with any apps.

This way, we can pair any apps that are supported split screen view, set 2 apps in split screen right away, and not restricted by Apps Edge limited app choice.

I hope this tips can help some members who have the same problem while using Split Screen after OneUI 3.0. Have a good weekend guys! 🌤

12 Comments
BDTech
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
One UI 3 ruined split screen, I wish they would revert the changes.
Galaxy Note
Yeah, hope future update could bring back the easiest way for split screen.
AmeriCanuck
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
Yeah, this seems like a lot of extra work, lol...which is ironic when I've read about One UI 3.0 being about making things more intuitive and easier to use your phone. I'm looking forward to being able to upgrade to 3.0, but this may be the one thing I won't like, because I use split screen with a couple apps. But,@Tallman, I do appreciate you sharing this and will this be with all devices in OneUI 3.0, even without apps edge?
Galaxy Note
I am not too sure if no apps edge. But this is the only way for me to get split screen without hassle. Although need to do few steps, but still better than limited choice on apps edge menu.
AmeriCanuck
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
Ok, I value your advice and input of course, because it's always positive and helpful. Just to get it right, for example...I have an A20 now. Usually, I can just touch recent apps, touch and hold app I want to split screen, tap on 'Open in split screen view', then follow that same process for the 2nd app and done. So with the update, you can't do that anymore, even on A series?
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Yes, after UI3 update, you can't choose recent apps anymore like before. That's why I put up this tips. We used to able to do split screen, choose 2nd app from recent or app drawer. New UI only allow you to preset the split screen or choose from Apps Edge.
mytech
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Note
I love my devices...

20190517_071014_6017.jpg

0 Likes
Halston
Options
Galaxy Note

Hey Tallman,
Thanks for your time and for sharing this detailed and pictorial explanation of the Split screen. This will be helpful for the community members here.

Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
Wait.... I think I'm missing something here... From the split screen apps edge menu, all you need to do is click on the bottom square and you can see ALL apps...

Screenshot_20210410-210941_Apps_14255.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-210924_Apps_14254.jpg

0 Likes