Original topic:

Why Samsung removed ToF camera in Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

(Topic created on: 12-24-2020 08:51 AM)
theong
Active Level 2
Options
Galaxy Note
Samsung spent alot of effort to marketing AR features, but they removed ToF camera and replaced with laser AF sensor just to fixed slow auto focus issue in Galaxy S20 Ultra.
I have no idea why they removed ToF after introduced since Galaxy Note10+ (less than 2 years) while others company like Apple and Huawei still using ToF and LiDar in their new phone. 
Yes, "may be" the live focus or background blur can be achieved via software algorithm. But ToF camera can serve for other purpose like 3D scanning, AR Measurements. There must be advantages for using ToF, I hope Samsung can bring it back in next generation Galaxy S or Note series

This is my personal opinion. 😉
13 Comments
Kimiyukiko
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
the ToF and LiDar came from sony iirc and as for now, only apple can use the better ToF while samsung must use the inferior version. so they currently trying to improve current ToF but people gonna complain a lot if they have ToF that failed like s20 ultra. the s20 ultra not only having slow auto focus issue but focus issue with near object. kinda bad for someone to scan documents using camera nowadays and the next galaxy s21 gonna use laser
Deathstar45
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Samsux.. dirty **bleep**ers can't do anything right. Got a 20 ultra for more money and less features. Samsux phones are trash. Their washers and dryers are trash. Their tvs are also **bleep**. Dicksby sux. Their customer service should be call Samsux, you under and rips you off. I'm tired of that **bleep** Samsux company. This will be the last phone or anything else I buy with the Samsux on it. What a **bleep** **bleep** lowlife company. Should have came with Vaseline at least. 

Edison121
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
I agree too, my note 20 ultra don't have tof but laser focus, actually because the s20 ultra issue made focus not responsive, so they replaced laser focus for better experience, but the laser focus are not so sensitive with QR code Scan, previously easily failed to scan, recently after few upgrade, is way much responsive.
kyfoon
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
do you think only tof sensor is being remove from top of the line note 20 ultra? a brief down grade of note 20 ultra... (no update= down grade since we paid higher "upgrade" price)

1. TOF sensor
2. spO2 sensor
3. iris sensor
4. 3.5mm Jack
5. 20mp front camera
6. 100x zoom
7. downgrade 25w charge
8. slow "defective" fingerprint sensor
9. slow gpu/cpu vs SD865+
10. same 12GB ram
11. hi drain /small battery (vs s20 U/SD865+)
not to mention 1.wrong placement of s pen 2. camera bump. 3. software instability 4.no cover
as overall **bleep** regret upgrade to note 20 Ultra. better stay with note 10 Plus😪... being so expensive yet so many down grade. too greedy Samsung.

Galaxy Note
Lol you can buy the A80 if you want TOF
0 Likes
photomasterz
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
really? 🥲
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Yes, it has TOF sensor and its the same as Note 10. But the 48MP main camera video quality is not as good as what you would find on the Note 10, and Android 11 is A80's last update
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
I wouldnt recommend A80 unless depth is such an important feature, because if the rotating camera on the A80 brokens, you wont have any usable camera
0 Likes
Deathstar45
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Why. If you buy a flagship phone, it should already have it and more. Samsucks just **bleep**.

0 Likes