Original topic:

Windows 10 - Error code: 0x88982F52 when applying tags to image taken from Samsung Note 10+ phone

(Topic created on: 09-26-2020 09:08 PM)
corporatei
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note

When taking photo using Samsung Note 10+ then transferring onto the computer, then from the computer trying to apply tags in the properties, I received this error message:

Error code: 0x88982F52:  There is too much metadata to be written to the bitmap.

0x88982F52 Error Message.JPG

Samsung tag error screenshot.JPG

Some images gives this error message when writing tags, and others seems okay.

Samsung Tags writing problem 2.jpg

The problem appears to be more apparent on images that are taken outdoors.   Less of this problem when taken indoors.  Also tagging videos, whether is taken outside or inside, have no problems.   The GPS location is turned on at all times.

All Computers have this same problem.

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-N975W/XAC/doc.html

This problem happened after the update on Jan 15 2020 or Feb 25 2020.

Build Number : N975WVLS2BTA1
Android version : Q(Android 10)
Release Date : 2020-02-25
Security patch level : 2020-02-01
· The security of your device has been improved.

Build Number : N975WVLS2BSLA
Release Date : 2020-01-15
Security patch level : 2020-01-01
· The security of your device has been improved.

Both PC and phone device have been hard reset already, and still the problem persists.

Had struggled very hard to communicate to Samsung Support, seems like they have no clue what I am talking about and there is no upper level support to reach out to.

keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi corporatei,

We have already forwarded the post to the team. 

You can also use the link to generate the error report from Samsung Members app so that our team can review the Log Files and will get back to you.
In step 5, please select "Application" category.
In step 6, Please check "send the system log data".
0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hi Keagan,

I have submitted error report today and copy and paste this community link into the report.

So as of today, still no news about this bug or fix?  It has been a problem since February 2020.

0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi corporatei, Our team is working on it and I request you to give us some more time. Thanks for understanding. Have a nice day.

0 Likes
twobbs
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

You can work around this problem by rotating the image 360 degrees with Microsoft Photos and saving.  The resultant image is visually the same, but the metadata is editable (and the file is bigger).  Unless Samsung is writing non-standard JPEG formatting of some form, this is probably a Microsoft problem.  I have submitted a Windows Feedback report.  You may want to check out that report and upvote.

twobbs
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

There are reports of this problem going back at least a couple of years.  However, it seems quite likely that some recent changes on the Samsung end have made it more likely.  Note that among the 50-odd photos I processed, maybe 60% had this issue.  This was with my new A51.  I never saw this on my previous phone, an A5.

corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Yes I actually open the files in Microsoft Paint and resaved it, and then the tags are writtable.  That means, to begin with, it is the Samsung phones that generated this problem, it can't be really a Microsoft problem, because the photos comes from the Samsung phone.

@twobbs, i didn't know this happened to a lot of Samsumg models too.

0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi corporatei, I am here to inform you that the issue is already forwarded to the team. We are waiting for their response and will be shared with you as soon as we receive it. I hope you understand.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hello all,

On https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-N975W/XAC/doc.html

For the update: 

Build Number : N975WVLU4DTH7
Release Date : 2020-09-24
Security patch level : 2020-09-01

It looks like this problem has been addressed and resolved.  I was above to write tags onto the photos without the error message.
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Glad to know that the issue got resolved @corporatei.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hi Keagan

Sorry to bug you again, but as of today Oct 10 2020, I just took some outdoor photos, and looks like the problem is still there.  Maybe they did not address this after all.  

Can you help me follow up with the technical team again?  And I will try to do the same again?

0 Likes