Original topic:

Windows 10 - Error code: 0x88982F52 when applying tags to image taken from Samsung Note 10+ phone

(Topic created on: 11-25-2020 07:35 PM)
corporatei
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note

When taking photo using Samsung Note 10+ then transferring onto the computer, then from the computer trying to apply tags in the properties, I received this error message:

Error code: 0x88982F52:  There is too much metadata to be written to the bitmap.

0x88982F52 Error Message.JPG

Samsung tag error screenshot.JPG

Some images gives this error message when writing tags, and others seems okay.

Samsung Tags writing problem 2.jpg

The problem appears to be more apparent on images that are taken outdoors.   Less of this problem when taken indoors.  Also tagging videos, whether is taken outside or inside, have no problems.   The GPS location is turned on at all times.

All Computers have this same problem.

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-N975W/XAC/doc.html

This problem happened after the update on Jan 15 2020 or Feb 25 2020.

Build Number : N975WVLS2BTA1
Android version : Q(Android 10)
Release Date : 2020-02-25
Security patch level : 2020-02-01
· The security of your device has been improved.

Build Number : N975WVLS2BSLA
Android version : Q(Android 10)
Release Date : 2020-01-15
Security patch level : 2020-01-01
· The security of your device has been improved.

Both PC and phone device have been hard reset already, and still the problem persists.

Had struggled very hard to communicate to Samsung Support, seems like they have no clue what I am talking about and there is no upper level support to reach out to.

49 Comments
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hi Keagan

I submitted the error report through Samsung app, with the log.  I do this about 45 mins after I see this problem from cycling.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hi Keagan

So I have used the Samsung Members app to send an error report and they were not being helpful at all.  Please see attached screenshot of what they replied.

Screenshot_20201117-010254_Samsung Members.jpg

Obviously they made no effort to look at this link, which explains the entire details of the problem.  So what should we do?  And I have no idea if they even received the error report.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

So when I use the GPS Bike Computer and Garmin watch, along with taking photos with location on, this tagging problem happens.  For this example, I checked the Google Photos GPS location and this photo cannot write tags on from PC, and the GPS location is completely wrong.  Could this be interfered from the bike GPS computer and garmin watch?  I am trying to figure out whether is the GPS Bike computer or the Garmin Vivoactive 4 watch or both that is messing up the photos randomly that causes write tag problems.

Screenshot_20210312-141147_Photos.jpg20210311_132348.jpg

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

20210405_140833.jpg20210404_124827.jpg

Photos with a lot of information or graphics or lots of visual aspects in the photo also tend to display this error message in Windows when applying tags.  Simpler looking photos don't give this error message.  This also happened in the absence of the bike GPS computer and GPS Garmin Watch.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

I also notice when I take photos that consist of lots of trees or greenary, this problem happens more.

20210924_135520.jpg

0 Likes
4REEE
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Note

I notice that if the jpg file exceeds 20279 KB, I cannot change the rating to, say for example, 5 stars.

Files of this size seems to be when there are tremendous amounts of detail involved (outdoor shots with plentiful lighting seems to be the killer). Then I get the 0x88982F52 error when modifying Rating.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

This still has not been fixed.   @modorator, can you please advise?

0 Likes
Stracey
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Note
Discover experimental in Settings Labs Pro
0 Likes
vdbg
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

This is a bug with Samsung's thumbnail generation. Basically, they need to cap the size. Canon, Apple, GoPro, Akaso, Microsoft and everyone else does it. It's baffling that 2y later Samsung did not fix this given that it would take them a few lines of code changes to fix and 10 minutes to validate.

In any case for those affected here are some workarounds: 
* Have windows regenerate the thumbnail for you, for example by opening the picture in the photo viewer app, rotating it once, saving, then rotating 3 more times, saving. That can be time consuming though.
* Use the ExifTool command line tool.
   * To fix an entire folder of photos: exiftool -ThumbnailImage= Path_To_Directory
   * To fix a single photo: exiftool -ThumbnailImage= Path_To_Picture

ExifTool invocation example: exiftool -ThumbnailImage= F:\Photos\Tahiti\

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
Thanks for this info. Can I send this to tech support? Also I find the issue is more prevalent when greenery or vegetation related images are taken
0 Likes