Original topic:

All S20 FE variants except Canada version (g781w) has received android 11

(Topic created on: 01-30-2021 03:49 PM)
yulexun
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Up to now, all models of s20 fe outside Canada except for Australia (g781b/u/u1/0/n) have been updated to Android 11. However, the Canadian version (g781w) has not received the Android 11 update under all carriers. I sincerely hope someone from Samsung Canada can explain the situation, as a new Samsung user I am a little disappointed with the lack of transparancy on Samsung Canada's update schedule release.

I understand there may be some difficulties, but for a flagship device released in less than a year, the lack of security and feature updates is more or less unbearable. I hope Samsung Canada and the Canadian carriers will solve this problem soon.
14 Comments
inYYZ
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I've been waiting for the update for long time and am quite disappointed too. Not sure who's to blame, Samsung Canada or the Canadian carriers.
I reached out to Samsung support today through the Members app, but the agent who I chatted with had no answer. I'm questioning my decision of having bought this phone now
JohnH
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
Samsung support won't know the answer the these questions. Keep an eye out on Feb 3rd, that's when the S10 is getting android 11.
0 Likes
inYYZ
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
So should we assume that the S20FE will be updated around the same time?
0 Likes
JohnH
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
I'm not going to start rumors but I'd assume the FE would get android 11 sometime during the first two weeks of February in Canada.
0 Likes
Mutewarrior
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S
any source for this news of feb 3 release for s10
0 Likes
JohnH
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
It's on the Telus OS Upgrade page. Just double checked and it's actually February 2nd
Sabsung
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I'm with you on this. I spent lots of time researching my next phone purchase and having purchased the Google phones for almost 10 years I debated going with Samsung. The hardware specs are nice on the FE and when I chatted with Support BEFORE making my final decision they said Samsung now gives 3 years of updates so I naturally assumed it would be similar update schedules to the Google phone. Not only do we not have the latest Android 11 which my 4 year old Pixel has had since September of last year but we don't even get the monthly security updates. I'm still on the December update. What a disappointment for a phone I payed almost $1000 for. Live and learn.
yulexun
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
according to my research, s20 fe won't get the update in early February. I checked the firmware of s10 and s20 fe on checkfirm, there's a test firmware currently in schedule for s10, but there's nothing for S20 fe.

Screenshot_20210131-125709_CheckFirm.jpg

Screenshot_20210131-125657_CheckFirm.jpg

inYYZ
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thanks @JohnH. Will go with that assumption. 👍
0 Likes