Original topic:

Android 13 update

(Topic created on: 12-25-2022 03:01 PM)
ken66
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
I have a question regarding the Android 13 update.
I have an international version S21 Ultra on Bell network in Canada. So far I have no update available for Android 13. Should I have had that by now? Or am I just impatient? 
7 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

One UI V5.0 was out for the International Exynos variant, quite a while ago. 

Flash it Manually with Odin, or get the SIM from the Carrier that corresponds to the CSC on your device. 

ken66
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Any idea why it's not coming up when I check for software updates? I've had other updates through that setting with no issues.
Also if I flash through Odin do I have to be rooted? I don't want to root it. Where do I get the files to do that flash if I want to do it that way?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

If you've had other OTAs for this device with the Bell SIM, but I'm thinking that they've only been Security Patch Updates, right? 

Flashing the Samsung Firmware with Odin, is NOT anything like Rooting your device. 

You are Flashing Samsung's stock UN-Rooted Firmware. 

You could also try to get the One UI V5.0 update using Smart Switch on your computer. 

ken66
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
You're correct the other OTA updates were security patches. I am familiar with using Odin only for the purpose of rooting and for repairing bricked phones by flashing new firmware, but that was years ago on older phones. How would I do it with this phone and where would I get the files for that? As for using SmartSwitch on the computer, how is that done?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

You can download the CORRECT Samsung Firmware using Frija (link below). 

Install Frija on your computer & when you run it, run as Administrator. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-checker.3910594/

Enter the Model number & the CSC to get the latest version of the Firmware for your device. 

Download & install Samsung's USB drivers to your computer, (Link Below).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1haNjE8akF-o62xuJURlY99__VsU0K5uX/view?usp=drivesdk

Download Samsung's Odin and install on your computer, (Link Below). 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cx9HwSLvitNJWwOCjmePJfSEH52KiYFR/view?usp=drivesdk

Extract the tar files from the Samsung Firmware you downloaded. 

Open Odin & run as Administrator. 

Insert the BL - CP - AP & CSC files ONE at a time into the corresponding slots in Odin. 

Start with the BL tar, insert it into the BL Slot in Odin. 

Put your device into Download Mode connect the USB cable to your computer (Make sure it is recognized by the computer)

Click on "Start" & wait for the Green "Pass". Repeat the process for the remaining tar files.

⚠️ For the CSC tar, use the HOME_CSC otherwise your device will Force a Factory Reset (although I'm not 100% sure if you can avoid it on your device?).

Some of the tar files take longer to get the "Pass", so don't panic.

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

For Smart Switch on your computer, open it & I think that it's under "preferences" where you can select Download Firmware / OTAs. 

I haven't used this before, so I don't know if your phone has to remain connected to the computer or not? 

BUT Smart Switch should get the necessary information from your phone when it is connected. 

ken66
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
@RedDogRabbit Thank you for all that info, your help is hugely appreciated. I will give that a try when I get a chance. Happy Holidays.