Original topic:

Android update

(Topic created on: 12-04-2018 04:41 AM)
flamebird786
Active Level 7
Options
Galaxy S
Guys I wanted to ask, is it possible to download a firmware that has other than the Samsung updates , because in like a year android 10 will be the last update for the s9 plus, so in that case I will most likely have to flash a rom on my phone does anyone have any advice on which ROM to use , I was thinking lineage os but im not sure. To summarize it I want a rom on my phone that procides me with the latest Android security patches and update 
10 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
You can use a GSI thanks to Treble. That's a generic system image that just works on every Treble device. You can get Android Q (10), R, S, T..... anything. Unless Google changes the Treble system. Only, you'll get pure stock Android (no Samsung UI, no Pixel UI either, just AOSP) and some unsupported components such as iris scanner won't work.

There are a few ROMs, close to stock Android, close to Samsung Experience or with a whole other UI altogether. But I'm not not such an expert about ROMs (I was too happy with Marshmallow on my A5 to flash anything)

I do know ShaggyskunkS9P knows more on that matter.
0 Likes
flamebird786
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Hmm thank you and uh do you happen to know how to flash one maybe. and again in not doing it now
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Actually you cannot on your S9 Plus because of the locked bootloader (USA and Canada have locked bootloaders). It socks I know. Try to complain at Samsung Canada about it.

In the future, the community might find a way to unlock the bootloader. Maybe.
0 Likes
flamebird786
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
oh ok
0 Likes
sCarey
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Hey boys... I am about to SNAP... I bought a S9+ "I am a 50 year old heavy duty mechanic" and I work in camp that has shit cell service North of N.W.T., yellowknife to be exact and I find pit after I bought this phone off Amazon.ca "Rather than my phone carrier Koodo/Telus" and I have s phone Samsung tells me should be in a desert. aYa, a U nite A rab E mirates SM G-965F that will not even give me an option for VoLTE or wifi calling, texting etc. Koodo yells me everything is on at their end, and that because I never bought phone from them it wont work cause SAMSUNG makes SPECIAL phones for Koodo only... "B.S." and Samsung tried to convince me at first ai needed to download the app, like a skype program, until I friggin lost it on the FOREIGN WORKER, only to be told my phone is from the Desert AND it wont work their, I told him I live in Canada, bought it in CANADA, yet no help dono watt 2 dew, Any ideas short of smashing the phone and sending smoke signals ..dd95ed55-b0ff-42ed-961f-122de9455dbb.jpg
f6073323-377b-4b21-bac7-748919eb3e9a.jpg
eef57e87-83cb-46a3-befc-5960d7aa5702.jpg
f3fd94ed-e15a-4db5-bb80-1f032d8fb15b.jpg
0 Likes
princesslovell
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
hi
0 Likes
flamebird786
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
just go to a company and buy a plan with a sim don't tell them that you have a phone cause the phone is most likely unlocked
0 Likes
flamebird786
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I would recommend something like Bell or Rogers
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@sCarey The International Exynos version will work in Canada - However - It's almost certain that you will never get VoLTE or WiFi Calling to work on this variant! H E C K even people who purchased the Canadian version directly from Samsung Canada can't get VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling to work - The Carriers are saying it's because the device wasn't purchased through them! Which is B.S.!!
0 Likes