Original topic:

Canadian SM-G960W from Samsung Store not getting security updates

(Topic created on: 05-01-2018 07:29 AM)
virtualH
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
I was wondering why is that the S9 I purchase form a Canadian Samsung Store (model SM-G960W) is not receiving Android security updates? I've manually checked and it always says I already have the latest version while in the software info it says I'm on the February security update. Reading online I see other S9 models getting security updates every month, and we are already in May. Is this device not going to be maintained? When I purchased it unlocked directly from Samsung I expected the device to be updated more frequently.

Thanks.
11 Comments
Galaxy S
Read this post 🐧

https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA?projectId=0&meta=#/post?postId=298105
0 Likes
virtualH
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Yes, thanks. I found that one but seems to be talking about devices acquired through Rogers. Mine is unlocked from the Samsung Store, although maybe it applies to all Canadian devices and the update will come for mine this month too.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@VirtualH at the end of the day, it wouldn't matter where you purchased your phone from as the updates roll out based on your carrier.
I am with Bell and I still have not received any single security updates since ive had my S9, so not too worry.
It probably is just not required right now, but you can always contact your carrier for more info.
:)
0 Likes
virtualH
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thanks. Hopefully Samsung will releases the update this month (Freedom Mobile claims the updates to my device won't come through them but directly from Samsung). I'm a developer and need to use my device for ARCore and there's a bug in the camera driver that is not allowing S9 owners to use augmenter reality apps that use ARCore. The patch for that bug is supposedly coming in May but I'm concerned about how slow updates roll out.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
ya totally I'm waiting for a patch to fix black crush and the low light in slow Mo
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@virtualH Yes - But the link from Rogers is saying that it's Samsung who pulled the update originally scheduled for the 16th of April because of issues?
I subsequently posted that T-Mobile received the update from Samsung - And cons that the hardware is the same...?
virtualH
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I'm with Freedom so I just contacted them and they say that updates to my device won't come through them but directly from Samsung.
0 Likes
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy S
yes it comes from Samsung... then to your carrier who rolls it out... and as Snowcat says it's depends on your carrier as to when you get it...
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Let's clear the mixup: Samsung Canada makes updates according to what's to be released (Security Patch, Bugfix, New Android Release). Internal test phase. Release to carriers. Carriers conduct their own tests. Carriers share their feedback to Samsung (add carrier bloat, remove core functionality, fix this...). Samsung Canada takes the feedback and makes new firmware (if needed). Carrier phase again if new firmware is needed. Once ALL carriers give approval, Samsung begins rollout. Staged rollout per carrier.