Original topic:

Clearing notification banners illogically clears app icon badges

(Topic created on: 05-24-2021 08:04 AM)
Grrl
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Apologies for the length, and apologies for complaining (which I don't usually do) but I'm quite passionate about this and hope that the following suggestion can be taken into consideration.

I'm a new Samsung smartphone user (Galaxy S20 5G) and, right from the get-go, I'm shocked and disappointed with the way such a *basic* and important feature as the Notifications feature works. Specifically: When I clear notifications from the banner lock screen or banner panel view, I then lose all app icon badges as well. WHY??? 

Moreover, why is clearing that banner list also an all-or-nothing deal?  

I honestly can't believe I even have to complain about this, explain it, and add to the other voices that are out there asking to change or expand the Notifications capabilities--because the way Samsung has it now is an utter "hindrance" as another user out there so aptly put it. Moreover, considering that Android phones are said to be "better" in the sense that they have more options to personalize preferences and how things work, I can't believe there isn't even an *option* to change / customize such a widely-used and relied-upon feature--which is perhaps the most primary function of a mobile phone.

So, here goes explaining the logic behind 2 + 2: 

If I'm busy working, for example, glancing at my notification banners from the lock screen is useful in order to filter through what is or is not urgent to respond to. However, being able to clear that panel, or even only certain items from that panel, WITHOUT losing the corresponding app icon badges is just logical:

1: Banners can get busy and cluttered over time. It gets confusing and time consuming to scan through the same long list of less important notifications that I've already seen, every time a new one comes in or every time I'm checking to see if a new one came in. Sometimes, I'm just looking for the important ones that require my response sooner rather than later. I want to be able to clear individual items from that banner list without having to clear the ENTIRE list, and also (and ESPECIALLY) without losing the app icon badges! Those app icon badges serve as reminders that something is still left outstanding (that maybe I can't get back to for days or weeks because I'm on vacation, but that's ok, I won't forget about it because that badge will remind me of it when I'm ready to turn my attention to it). To me, and many others out there complaining about this same thing, banner notifications serve an entirely different function and purpose from app icon badges--yet somehow, Samsung clumped these two together, and without any other option; and also made it an all-or-nothing phenomenon. 

2: I don't always want every type of notification visible in my banners section after I've already seen it--as some are more private to me, while the banner lock screen is more likely seen or even accessed by people I'm hanging out with in close proximity. Again, I'd like to be able to view and then clear certain banner notifications, while leaving others, and definitely without losing the app icon badges until I've physically gone into the app and cleared it myself.

3: Even email platforms, like GMail, grasp this very basic concept: If I have an Unread email on my computer, for example, I see a notification icon informing me that I have X amount of unread emails--irrespective of if I'd already gone in, read it and thereby marked it as Read, and then decided to leave it as Unread so that I don't forget to go back to it later. Similarly, on the iPhone, any emails marked as Read, and then decided to be left as Unread, show up again as app icon badges to remind me to get back to when I'm able to give the attention required. But not so on a Samsung device. If I've strategically marked an email or two as Unread, too bad, I lose the app icon badge. Simply put: I rely on app icon badges to not forget to get back to something or someone once I can. Samsung has now made this impossible. I don't know any other way to deal with this now than actually having to open another app and start making lists of all the people, emails and things I need to not forget to get back to later, and constantly keep checking and maintaining it. That's just crazy town.

Now I finally understand why certain people I've known over the years seem to have problems with "forgetting" to reply to texts or emails, etc. Clearly, they are Samsung users!

Samsung, PLEASE join the rest of the world and make this very important and very replied-upon distinction between banner notifications and app icon badges. Furthermore (but less importantly), please don't make the clearing of banner notifications an all-or-nothing, black-and-white thing. I am seriously considering making this a deal-breaker because it's such a basic, important and chronically-used and relied-upon feature of a smartphone.

Thanks for reading the rant. 

6 Comments
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for sharing this information. We will consider it as a valuable feedback.

0 Likes
Grrl
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Thank you, Georgine, I appreciate that. I understand that there might be a segment of the population that doesn't care about this, or perhaps even likes it the way it is now--and that's fine, I don't mean to take that option away from them either--but we are not all the same prototype; while technology is supposed to expand our options, not complicate or limit them. 

LFcz
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

Hello

Any update on this please?

0 Likes
elvisch
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Thanks for info..
0 Likes
Chris_Fitzell
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S
I have an s22 and it has a notification that is found in my secure folder but the phone restarted and now it asks me for a pin to unlock my secure folder which i cant remember it. How can i reset it?
0 Likes
Sinrock1
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

This is 100% right. I used android for 5 years then apple now trying an S24 ultra. The notification banner and app icon badge thing is ridiculous how it's currently working. Everything in this article needs addressed. Thank you