Original topic:

Contact info no longer associated with text messages, only show phone number?

(Topic created on: 04-03-2022 08:29 AM)
BigSarge
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Last nights update for my S21 now has my messages app only showing a phone number and not the actual contact name associated with it. Known contacts are now just a phone number. I've done the storage 'clear cache' and a bigger  clear cache as per Samsung Support, all to no avail. Any thoughts? 
0 Likes
31 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Where are your Contacts saved?

Phone, SIM, Samsung or Google accounts?

You can see this by Clicking on the "Hamburger" Menu Middle Left on your Contacts screen. 

BigSarge
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thanks for the help RedDog, but I don't see this on my contacts screen when I open it. I'm quite useless at this
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

3 April 2022 133529 GMT-0400.png

Do you mean the "Hamburger" Menu?

Usually it's 3 horizontal lines, but it looks a bit different in my screen shot because of the Theme I'm running. 

BigSarge
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
This is what I'm looking at Screenshot_20220403-133843_Contacts.jpg
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Okay, that's a little disorganized, but not a problem. 

I always save all my Contacts to my principal Google account. That if I sell my phone, change Carriers, lose or damage my SIM, my contacts are always safe & in one place. 

It could also be the reason (likely it is) as to why your Contacts are just showing up as phone numbers. 

I'd strongly suggest that you move all your contacts to your main (if you have more than one) Google email account. 

Then clear Cache & Data for your Messaging app Reboot & hopefully your messages will come back properly..Note, it can take a few minutes (with Rogers anyway) for all of your messages to be restored. 

BigSarge
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I'll give that a try, thanks so much for your help
GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Did you also try to clear data of your messages app ? You can back up your messages before in case but it shouldn't erase your messages.
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Even if Clearing Cache AND Data for Messages, did clear the messages, they should be added back from your Carrier. At least that's what happens for me using Google Messages & with Rogers. 

iFlYSoLo
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Save your contacts in google, it will show you everything you need to know. Depending on how many you have, you could delete and re add in google one by one lol. Sunday afternoon! I have done it before :)