Original topic:

DeX - Can't have more than 5 apps on screen

(Topic created on: 08-24-2020 02:17 PM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
Can you please remove this silly and artificial limitation with Samsung DeX?

Using my original Samsung DeX Station with my S10+, I can display more than 5 apps on screen at once.

Using my (technically superior) Hewlett P. Elite X3 Desk Dock, I get the "no more than 5 apps" message. 

Stop artificially limiting this function, especially since Samsung doesn't even sell a first-party desk dock any longer. Absolutely infuriating that Samsung is gimping DeX like this unless you use a Samsung dock/cable (or some random 3rd party options which seem to have skirted this limitation somehow).

There is absolutley no reason why my X3 dock cannot support more than 5 apps on screen the same as the DeX Station allows.

Thank you.
24 Comments
Galaxy S
Hi nickthaskater, because if you are using the original docking for DeX, the dock will cool down your phone and you can load more from docking. But if without docking, it limits apps running in DeX to just 5 to prevent taxing the phone.
0 Likes
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

Thanks for the reply, Tallman; however that's not the case. You can use a Samsung wired cable or multiport adapter or any number of other wired adapters, none of which use a fan, and circumvent the 5 app limit.

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/products/mobile/accessories/cables/dex-cable-ee-i3100fbegww-buy/

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/products/mobile/accessories/adapters/multiport-usb-c-adapter-ee-...

For example. 

It has nothing to do with cooling or a fan. 

Galaxy S
I see. That I have no idea they limited 5 apps if using other brands docking. But if you have Samsung DeX docking, why not using it?
0 Likes
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

Tallman, because the Samsung DeX Station is incredibly out of date from a feature perspective.

It only has USB 2.0.

It only has 10/100 LAN.

My X3 dock has USB 3.0, an additional Type C input, and Gigabit LAN.

The Samsung docks are also lightweight cheap plastic, which look bad and are not stable on the desk. The X3 dock is a solid chunk of metal which both looks good and keeps my device firmly in place on my desk.

This wouldn't be a problem if Samsung offered a good alternative, but they don't.

Halston
Options
Galaxy S

Hey nickthaskater,
We consider it as valuable feedback and I will forward it to our appropriate team.

Houseofcortez
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

Please add myself to the growing list of people requesting this feature also please add native cac card support this would help us enterprise customers out. 

0 Likes
Galaxy S
@nickthaskater - Understood.
Halston
Options
Galaxy S

Hi nickthaskater,
We do not have tested information with the third party accessories. Samsung always recommends using the original accessories to get a better experience as you are able to display more apps with the original Samsung DeX Station.

0 Likes
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

Hi Halston,

You mention, " as you are able to display more apps with the original Samsung DeX Station." Can you please explain why that is? That's the problem - it is not clear what makes the Samsung accessories "special" so as to allow more apps to display vs. other adapters.

Is Samsung artificially limiting other adapters? 

Where is the 5 app "limit" coming from?

Thank you!