Original topic:

DeX - Please disable Samsung Keyboard "shift-space" language toggle

(Topic created on: 07-08-2019 04:05 AM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
The shift-space language toggle makes it virtually impossible to use an external keyboard with DeX and have a pleasant typing experience.

This has been a long time issue with the Samsung Keyboard being enabled when using external keyboards. DeX is making the issue much more prevalent.

If I use another keyboard app instead of the Samsung keyboard, it fixes the shift-space issue but then it'll turn on and blur the phone screen whenever I click into a typable field. So if the phone screen is off, it'll turn it on when I don't need it, and if I'm using the phone screen for something else (texting app usually) it'll blur over it.

Please provide the option to disable the shift-space language toggled in Samsung Keyboard, especially in DeX. This would literally solve everything (although fixing the related bugs would be nice, too).

Others noting the same issue:

And my favourite one, going all the way back to 2011: 

15 Comments
StrumerJohn
Beginner Level 3
Options
Galaxy S

Bump. I literally go insane every day from this because it makes it so hard to type! I don't want to turn off any other languages that I have on my phone, but this feature needs to be optional or re-mappable. 

Tm12333
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

Yes this! I use DeX very frequently for school work, and this bothers me. It slows my typing speed dramatically. 

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
Be sure to like the OP if it's something you want Samsung to pay attention to :)
0 Likes
GKC
Beginner Level 3
Options
Galaxy S

Alright, who's the troll baking in these unproductive shortcuts?

Samsung hiring illogical devs nowadays?

Amateurs!

VladislavN
Beginner Level 4
Options
Galaxy S

The same happens with my external keyboard experience and makes my typing process very slow because every time I type "I" or ",", it switches the next keyboard layout. The problem is explained very well in this post, so I hope that in the coming updates it will be solved. Please do it, it will turn DeX experience really upside down!

0 Likes
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
it's now fixed in Android 10 / OneUI 2. You can change the shortcut to several different key combinations, such as left alt + space, which is far less common/ annoying.
VladislavN
Beginner Level 4
Options
Galaxy S

That's great! So I will be waiting for the update

0 Likes
metagrapher
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

@nickthaskater 
how does one change this setting? I cannot find documentation on how to change it. I have been through every keyboard setting I can find, but cannot find this setting.  (I checked and am on OneUI 2.5 on Android 10)

Thanks!

Xerxes0198
Beginner Level 3
Options
Galaxy S

Yes please! I would like to be able to re-map all of these shortcuts without the use of third-party apps. DeX is so powerful, yet I feel it could be so much more.

0 Likes