Original topic:

Email issues

(Topic created on: 04-05-2019 07:36 AM)
Marco7
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
Hi can someone help me , I'm having issues  with opening attachments  in my email. I send pics my email  address  as Jpeg ans they arrive on my S7 Phone email as winmail.dat  .I uninstalled  the wimail app on my phone and I went to general management  to reset my default settings, my email attachments  are still arriving as winmail.dat . and I'm.unable to open any pics on my phone . 

I would greatly  appreciate  some feedback. 

Thanks 

0 Likes
6 Comments
carlo61
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
funny sir I having the same problem
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @Marco7,

Hmm, are you sending the pictures to yourself through an Outlook client? Typically "winmail.dat" attachments appear when you attempt to send emails containing rich text instead of HTML.

Luckily, since you're the one sending the emails out, you can configure Outlook to prevent this from happening! To do this:

• Open up your Outlook email client.
  • Click on File in the upper toolbar.
  • Select the Options setting.
  • From here, select the Mail category.
  • Now, under Compose messages, you want to ensure the HTML or Plain Text option is selected for the Compose messages in this format.
  • Next, underMessage format, set When sending messages in Rich text format to Internet recipients to Convert to HTML format or Plain Text format
  • Click OK to finish.

Of course, this solution assumes you're using Outlook in the first place—let me know if this isn't the case and we can troubleshoot further 😊

Cheers,

Sabrina

0 Likes
Kawasakiman
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Hey @Marco7,

I had the same problem and found the solution in, when composing the E-Mail, to ignore the "autocomplete" of the recipient's address, and to fully type it in. That worked for me perfectly.

Greetings,

Rene

0 Likes
DonAnderson
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Amazing. I just tried the solution posted by Kawasakiman on 7/24/2020 and IT WORKED!! I did send the message from Outlook and it WAS already setup the way Community Moderator had said to do it. So my question for Community Moderator is, why did Kawasakiman's solution work? BTW, I have been sending jpg attachments from Outlook to my Galaxy S9 since the day I bought it about 3 years ago and this problem just started happening about 3 weeks ago so SOMETHING changed. Also, when my phone was showing the attachments as winmail.dat, if I used the Comcast website to open my mail it worked normally (showing .jpg rather than winmail.dat) and also if sent a message to my Gmail account and used the Gmail app on my phone it also worked correctly, so I suspect the thing that changed was the Samsung mail app. I have received about 3 OS upgrades on the phone in the last 6 months so I wonder if one of them changed the way the mail app works. 

Harry_B_Ninja
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

Makes absolutely no sense - but works!   Thanks!

Any Samsung People know why?

0 Likes
stocky927
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

There is a lot of rubbish on the internet regarding winmail.dat. My wife and I both have Samsung A52's and we both have Outlook (Office 365) on our computers. We sent an email to both phones, on one the pdf attachment showed up as a pdf but on the other it showed winmail.dat. So I don't think it is related to Outlook but is a setting on the phone.

0 Likes