Original topic:

Getting Bixby on Canadian phone. Guide to flash US firmware on Canadian S8+

(Topic created on: 07-29-2017 08:48 AM)
Jmak
Active Level 10
Options
Galaxy S
I am writing this article about how I got Bixby running on my phone. I used T-Mobile firmware on my TELUS Samsung S8+ device which got Bixby activated on my phone. Version I have is SM-G955W (Canadian) but after I flashed that firmware, it shows SM-G955U (USA). This guide is strictly for Samsung S8+ DON’T FLASH SAMSUNG S8 WITH THIS FIRMWARE. This will not root your phone that means no Knox warranty void. The firmware you are going to flash is official Samsung firmware.
This guide is strictly experimental use only for those users who would like to get their hands on Bixby right now so anything you do, do it at your own risk. You might end up damaging your phone if you dont take care while flashing.

Problems using US firmware are
No Samsung member app. Even if you manage to get app on your phone, it will only show Samsung support and diagnostics but no Community and rewards.
Samsung pay is American app and it will show all American rewards which cannot be redeemed by Canadian resident. I am not even sure if you’ll be able to add Canadian card (I don’t have CIBC card so couldn’t test)
I cannot be sure if future updates from T-Mobile may or may not cause any problem on your Canadian phone. However you can always return back to your original firmware using Smart Switch or Odin 3.
There may be other problems as well that I haven’t tested because I don’t use them.

1) Things you’ll need is
T-Mobile firmware
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298962140

Odin 3
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591023225177749

2) Prepare your phone.
First of all flashing firmware is going to wipe all your data from your phone so backup everything on your phone by any means you use. I used Samsung Smart Switch app for Windows 10. I also backup my phone on my Samsung account and Google account. Don’t forget WhatsApp chat history if you care about your chat.

You will need to download Firmware and Odin from above mention links. When done downloading, extract to their folders (I used WinRAR).

When you connect your phone to Odin, it has to be in Download Mode try following steps
Unplug from USB and turn off your phone than hold volume down key, Bixby key and power button together to start your phone in download mode. Screen will show you message telling you to press volume up key to enter download mode or press volume down key to restart. You have to press volume up to enter download mode.

3) Run Odin 3 in admin mode.
You’ll have to add 4 files to Odin 3 from Firmware extracted folder file names are as follows
Odin 3 AP button >>>AP_G955USQU1AQEF_CL11449429_QB13672995_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta.tar
Odin 3 BL button >>>BL_G955USQU1AQEF_CL11449429_QB13672995_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar
Odin 3 CP button >>>CP_G955USQU1AQEF_CP6552475_CL11449429_QB13672995_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar
Odin 3 CSC button >>> CSC_OYN_G955UOYN1AQEF_CL11449429_QB13672995_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar

Other 2 files doesn’t apply anywhere which are userdata and home_CSC so don’t add them to Odin anywhere.

4) Flashing firmware
If your Phone is on Download mode, just press start and let Odin 3 do the work. When finished, phone will automatically restart and Odin will show pass. (Phone will take more than normal time to start)
When your phone starts and initial setup is finished, it will be on US firmware and Bixby should work, you can bring her up by press and holding Bixby key. If you backup your phone with Samsung or Google account, make sure you restore your data during setup. If you use smart switch, finish the setup and then run restore from smart switch PC app.

5) Reverting your phone back to original setting
To go back to Canadian Firmware anytime, download Your Carrier Specific Firmware from https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8/SM-G955W/ and repeat steps 2 – 4.

Installing Smart Switch will also install USB drivers require if you don't have it already

Smart Switch for PC
http://www.samsung.com/us/assets/Smart_Switch_pc_setup.exe

Smart Switch for mac
http://www.samsung.com/global/download/smartswitchmac/722509f1-7d24-40db-8788-a0db311ffdcd.jpg
19 Comments
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
any question, concerns or doubts you can comment below.
0 Likes
acheney1990
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Cool. So no connection issues or anything with the US software?
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
No
dude92
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
May consider this, thanks for the guide!

Just got contacted back about Canadian Bixby. They say it is being worked on, but who knows how long that'll take. All I will say is the Note 8 comes out soon so I hope it is launched by then. Bixby is literally the only thing right now that could make me buy another Samsung phone, so I hope it lives up to the hype.
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
It does live upto its hype. She can do more that google assistance while handling the samsung phone
0 Likes
dude92
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Trust me, I watch non stop videos about it in depth. My statement more refers to whether or not it will be something I actually use regularly.
0 Likes
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Thanks for the detailed guide! Looks promising, if Bixby isn't here in the next few weeks then I will probably end up doing this.
0 Likes
진시형
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Samsung pay is interchangeable between Canada and USA. I am currently using my American BMO Harris Mastercard debit on the Canadian Samsung PaY app. And before I was using a USA version of Samsung pay which let me redeem rewards with a Canadian address... Well I only used the points to redeem the Samsung prepaid visa. Which transferred over and synced with my Canadian Samsung pay app. I've also been able to add a few Thai credit cards to the Canadian Samsung pay app. I was testing it out with my friend to see which issuers were supported under the Canadian Variant. only cards that didnt load were Korean issued and Chinese. Korea loves to keep everything exclusively for Koreans living in Korea apparently. I used to be able to load gifts cards but that doesnt work anymore on my canadian version. This leads me to believe that the potential next update to Samsung pay in Canada will most likely bring support to gift cards. I hope paypal support comes in soon too. I hope my own little study helps people out there .
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
These is the best Info you can find on Canadian Samsung pay. Good work testing that for us friends.
0 Likes