Original topic:

Is eSIM enabled on Canadian S21 series on One UI 4?

(Topic created on: 11-14-2021 04:31 AM)
waqqas31
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
Would anyone be willing to report back soon after the build goes live?  I have a Note 20 Ultra and am pinning my own hopes of getting eSIM support on the S21's fortunes 🙏🏼
0 Likes
26 Comments
Galaxy S
If you are referring to the Android 12 and optimization One UI 4 update, it is going to be released on November 23. I found this info on phonearena.com that eSIM support is available on the American S21 series (Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T) as the SIM card tray accepts both cards. The SIM card tray on the Canadian S21 series only accepts the regular SIM card as the phones do not have the internal hardware and software to run two SIM cards.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

That's nonsense!

The hardware is identical! It's purely because Samsung Canada has an arrangement with the Canadian Carriers that prevents the use of eSIM. 

Montreal1
Active Level 8
Galaxy S

Since you can NOT physically insert 2 sim cards, the hardware has to be different.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

There's NO Hardware difference between the US & Canadian S21.

From GSM Arena. 

"On Tuesday, Samsung launched its beta program for Android 12 and One UI 4. Along with the list of many new features and updates for the Samsung Galaxy S21S21+, and S21 Ultra is support for eSIM in the US. eSIM allows a smartphone to be registered to a network without needing a SIM card. You'd only need to provide a unique eSIM number to your carrier to activate service."

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s21_lineup_gets_esim_support_in_us_with_oneui_4_beta-news-5096...

Montreal1
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Ok thanks for the precision.
0 Likes
GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
You were probably thinking about dual sim phones vs eSIM
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

That & people who have the Canadian S21 Ultra, have been able to Flash the US Betas. Not sure if the US variant did have a dual SIM if that would be possible, but thinking perhaps not, depending on what the firmware would be looking for in the way of hardware, even with Patched Odin. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
Don't think there is space for two physical sim. One sim and multiple esim if I'm not mistaken
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

There is on the European S21 series & given that the physical dimensions are the same afaik, the difference in the SIM tray itself is that SIM 1 goes on the front / top of the tray & SIM 2 goes on the back / bottom of the tray. 

SIM front.PNG

Reverse SIM.PNG