Original topic:

Moving from Samsung S7 to S10

(Topic created on: 06-28-2022 09:32 PM)
thecyclegeek
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with a large sdcard installed (and many of my photos / apps on that) but I'd like to switch to a Samsung Galaxy S10+ which I also own but never used. I'd like to do so slowly over the course of a few days - first transferring my apps and profiles over and eventually putting my SIM card in the S10.

If I sign in on the S10 using my Samsung account, will that cause any issues if I continue to use my S7 (with SIM) for a little while or will there be conflicts having both devices on the same account? How do I transfer my SMS messages, voicemail, etc over to the S10 from the S7? Will my contacts, etc be migrated as well (some are google and some are Samsung account contacts) or do I have to use a third party app to complete the transfer?

6 Comments
Galaxy S
I would install SmartSwitch on PC, then do a full backup for your S7. Then restore your full backup to S10. Lastly remove your SDcard from S7 and insert to S10.

This way, your SMS will transfer to S10. Your voicemail should be stored on your carrier.
Theblueberry
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Smart switch will transfer all of that for you at once.
It doesn't need to take days, just back up everything first, then use smart switch to transfer to the new phone. And you don't have to erase the old device or anything, so no matter what you can just transfer over the few things smart switch doesn't copy.
It has a few things it won't copy.
Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi thecyclegeek, Smart Switch lets you transfer data wirelessly or using a USB cable. With Smart Switch, you can transfer your apps, contacts, call logs, messages, photos, videos and other content to your new Galaxy device quickly and easily.

please follow the steps in the given link to transfer data using Smart switch from Galaxy S7 to Galaxy S10. 

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-phone-transfer-content-with-smart-switch/

0 Likes
thecyclegeek
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

What if the backups are grayed out? I thought they were successful but I'm unable to select them.

0 Likes
Axton
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, please close and re-open smart switch on the PC then try to select the backup file.
If you are still unable to select them please restart the PC and try again.

0 Likes
thecyclegeek
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Smart Switch doesn't properly update the Backup History file in %AppData% if there was a problem with the backup, thereby leading to files being on the PC but not usable. I haven't found a single place online where Samsung describes how to resolve this type of issue, or shows how you can manually back up the files if your previous device is unusable. This is part of what happened.

The other part is that with Samsung forcing people to migrate to MS OneDrive when their cloud storage was removed (last year), their default storage location in Documents was causing OneDrive to try to sync the entire backup as it was running. Of course, OneDrive doesn't have anywhere close to enough space to hold that many files, and it was also trying to sync files that weren't completely updated, corrupting the whole process. What a plague that software is. Why Samsung decided to partner with them or suggest them as an option when their own cloud storage / backup shutdown is beyond me.

I can do backups now that OneDrive is disabled / I changed the location elsewhere. Is there anyway to manually associate a full or partial backup from a previous run of Smart Switch to the application if the BackupHistory.xml (I believe that's the file) doesn't list it? I had some previous backups that aren't listed in Smart Switch at all but I have the files on my hard drive. Switching the Smart Switch save location to the location of those backups doesn't update the list.

0 Likes