Original topic:

Names Missing in Messages

(Topic created on: 08-18-2021 12:39 PM)
MurrayC
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

The names of my contacts no longer show in the messaging app, only their phone numbers.  Any fixes?

29 Comments
MurrayC
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I should add it is a S20 FE

0 Likes
BigSarge
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Did you ever get this issue sorted out?  My S21 just developed this problem following a Samsung update and I’d be interested if you fixed it

Galaxy S
Samsung Message app or Google Message app? Any chance you can screenshot your problem?
0 Likes
MurrayC
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Samsung message app

0 Likes
MurrayC
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Samsung message app.  Screen shot not possible.  What I can say is that it used to show the name of the sender if the sender was in my contacts and phone number if not.  Now it only shows telephone number of sender, regardless if they are a contact or not.

0 Likes
Galaxy S
Try Open Settings → Apps → Messages → Storage

Click clear data and clear cache.

Then open Samsung Messages app again to see if problem still exist. Thank..
Magoo1
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

Tallman is a rockstar!!  thank you... I JUST got my s22+ set up and the exact same thing happened... your fix totally worked😎

Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, we request you to go for safe mode and check if it fixes the issue. Using Safe mode disables all downloaded apps and loads only the original software that came with your phone or tablet, allowing you to determine if the issue is caused by an app or by the device. Follow the below steps to start the device in Safe Mode. 

1. After turning off the device, turn it on.

2. Once the Samsung logo has started, press and hold the volume down button.

3. When the home screen appears, the safe mode is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen. Then, power on the Tablet, and when the Samsung logo appears, press and hold down the Volume Down key. If done correctly, "Safe Mode" will display on the bottom left corner of the screen. Once you're in Safe Mode, check for the issue.

If the issue is gone in Safe mode: One of your recently downloaded apps was likely the cause of the problem.

If the issue still exists: Downloaded apps may not be the cause of the problem. You may need to reset the device.

How to deactivate safe mode.

1. Press and hold the power.

0 Likes
Members_DJsB6ho
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

I hadn't downloaded any apps, only a software update. The issue started after that.